Microsoft announces Windows Phone 7.1

Emil

Staff

Microsoft today announced and previewed Windows Phone 7.1 (codenamed Mango), which the company says will include over 500 new features. Frankly, with everything that is in the update, we're surprised it's not called Windows Phone 8.

The Mango release will be available for free to Windows Phone 7 customers and is scheduled to ship on new phones beginning this fall. Details on device update timing will be provided closer to availability.

Microsoft has a lot slated for Windows Phone. In terms of communications, the company wants to make it easier to connect and share with the following five main features:

• Threads – Switch between text, Facebook chat, and Windows Live Messenger within the same conversation.
  • Groups – Group contacts into personalized Live Tiles to see the latest status updates right from the Start Screen and quickly send a text, email, or IM to the whole group.
  • Deeper social network integration – Twitter and LinkedIn feeds are now integrated into contact cards, and Mango includes built-in Facebook check-ins and new face detection software that makes it easier to quickly tag photos and post to the Web.
  • Linked inbox – See multiple email accounts in one linked inbox. Conversations are organized to make it easy to stay on top of the latest mail.
  • Hands-free messaging – Built-in voice-to-text and text-to-voice support enables hands-free texting or chatting.

Microsoft wants to integrate apps directly into the core experiences of the phone. In addition to making it easy to get timely notifications and updates from apps right from the Start Screen, the Mango release will also surface apps as part of search results and within Windows Phone Hubs. Here are the three main app improvements that are coming:

• App Connect – By connecting apps to search results and deepening their integration with Windows Phone Hubs, including Music and Video and Pictures, Mango allows apps to be surfaced when and where they make sense.
  • Improved Live Tiles – Get real-time information from apps without having to open them. Live Tiles can be more dynamic and hold more information.
  • Multitasking – Quickly switch between apps in use and allow apps to run in the background, helping to preserve battery life and performance.

As for the browser, IE9 is coming. The Mango release will connect the Web to the unique capabilities of Windows Phones, such as location awareness, camera, and access to apps. Here are four online enhancements to look forward to:

• Internet Explorer 9 – A browser based on the powerful Internet Explorer 9 and including support for HTML5 and full hardware acceleration.
  • Local Scout – Provides hyperlocal search results and recommends nearby restaurants, shopping, and activities in an easy-to-use guide.
  • Bing on Windows Phone – More ways to search the Web, including Bing Vision, Music Search and Voice so it's easy to discover and decide.
  • Quick Cards – When searching for a product, movie, event or place, see a quick summary of relevant information, including related apps.

On top of all this, Microsoft has announced new OEM partners: Acer, Fujitsu, and ZTE. Of course, Nokia is also on board, as are the existing manufacturers Samsung, HTC, and LG. Curiously, Dell, which currently makes the Venue Pro, was not mentioned anywhere.

Microsoft also took the opportunity to declare that there are now more than 17,000 apps available on Windows Phone Marketplace. Access to apps will be expanded by launching Windows Phone Marketplace in new countries.

Support for additional languages is also being added. Microsoft has confirmed it will support the following additional languages: Brazilian Portuguese, Simplified and Traditional Chinese, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Greek, Hungarian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, and Swedish.

Last but not least, a beta release of the free Windows Phone Developer tools, which will be used to create the next generation of Mango apps and games, should be posted as a public download to Microsoft's website by tomorrow. It's odd that Microsoft doesn't have it ready yet, but it's possible the company wants to draw out the hype around this update.

"Seven months ago we started our mission to make smartphones smarter and easier for people to do more," Andy Lees, president of the Mobile Communications Business at Microsoft, said in a statement. "With 'Mango,' Windows Phone takes a major step forward in redefining how people communicate and use apps and the Internet, giving you better results with less effort."

Permalink to story.

It really needs this update. I love my windows phone but there are a lot of things that it needs.

yRaz said:
It really needs this update. I love my windows phone but there are a lot of things that it needs.

yeah, i have an omnia 7 and what i really want is an update to the browser.

WoW looks good, hoping for more info about it, specs etc...Just if it was lil thinner :p

Now the price...

aj_the_kidd said:
Interesting, would consider a W7P but the dual core SGS2 looks too alluring to me to pass up

If you're not in a rush, wait to see what windows phones are on the market with the release of Mango.

aj_the_kidd said:
Interesting, would consider a W7P but the dual core SGS2 looks too alluring to me to pass up

No offense to anyone or thing but unlike Android, WinPhone7 takes FULL advantage of what little and old hardware it has. So even though SnapDragon processors aren't fantastic, WinPhone7 runs fantastic because they use full hardware acceleration and that will include Internet Explorer 9.

Jibberish18 said:
aj_the_kidd said:

No offense to anyone or thing but unlike Android, WinPhone7 takes FULL advantage of what little and old hardware it has. So even though SnapDragon processors aren't fantastic, WinPhone7 runs fantastic because they use full hardware acceleration and that will include Internet Explorer 9.
I wasn't offended :) There's no real interesting Win7 phones out now and the SGS2 comes out next month (here anyway)

I'm glad to see that they've included the landscape address bar in IE!

If there was one thing that I would request to be added, it's batch text message deleting! I've got so many old texts, but I'm too lazy to go through, one-by-one, and delete them.

You dont have to do one by one. Go to main where there name is and hold on their name. You can delete all msgs from that contact.

Awesome.....Now thats reducing the Iphone and Android to rubble... There is a reason why Microsoft is a Giant.

Guest said:
Awesome.....Now thats reducing the Iphone and Android to rubble... There is a reason why Microsoft is a Giant.
Not sure how an update that hasn't been released yet reduces the most popular smart phone, the iPhone and the most popular mobile OS, Android, to rubble.

aj_the_kidd said:
Jibberish18 said:
aj_the_kidd said:

I wasn't offended :) There's no real interesting Win7 phones out now and the SGS2 comes out next month (here anyway)

I agree with one part i.e. 'no interesting phone (hardware wise) is out there' when it comes to WP7 (may be a little exception can be Omnia because of SOLED); but when it comes to OS and user interface, WP7 is well ahead of Android's cheap looking copied interface (no offense to android users, by the way I have SGS) :p

Archean said:
I agree with one part i.e. 'no interesting phone (hardware wise) is out there' when it comes to WP7 (may be a little exception can be Omnia because of SOLED); but when it comes to OS and user interface, WP7 is well ahead of Android's cheap looking copied interface (no offense to android users, by the way I have SGS) :p
Haven't played around with a win7 phone so i cant comment on how it operates. Even based on the new update and the current line of win7 phones, impressive as they are, a dual core android phone appeals greatly to me, not to mention the, supposed, improvement to GPS (SGS GPS == EPIC FAIL)

When manufacturers start bringing out dual core win7 phones, then i'll start getting serious at looking at a win7 phone, until then i will stick with Android, does what I want it to do.

I figured you would have gotten a new win7 phone by now :)

I have played around with Omnia 7, and I think MS has the best UI amongst the three top mobile OS (i.e. iOS and Android the other two). I think one main reason for Android's success has been the fact that 'it is a freeware' hence it make lots of economic sense for cell phone makers to sell smartphones based on it. But the same 'freeware*' nature of it is the epic downfall of this thing, because everyone slaps their own stupid UI on top of Android's pretty dumb one in the first place. This also means that most major instabilities Android suffers are because of the 'telecommunication company', hence, the technology company (i.e. Google) may not be responsible for all such instabilities.

I think one area where MS needs to review its policy is, hardware side of the offerings, instead of forcing them to use similar/same hardware they should simply state 'minimum requirements' and let them choose the maximum ones so it would help them differentiate from others.

On SGS GPS yes it is, brilliant hardware wasted by slapping Android with their stupid UI on it, I wish I could root it (I can't do it because from day one it simply refuses to connect via USB to any computer I can get my hands on) and perhaps even totally get rid of Android on it.

* By the way I don't believe in non-sense that open source or freeware is always good. If they were, open source would have taken over the IT world by now. Another way of looking at it is, Google's share price would never have fallen from 644$ (that is highest one I remember and could verify) to about 518$. :rolleyes:

Use Go Launcher Ex myself instead of Samsung's TouchWiz. I thought the MS hardware specs were already "min required" and that manufacturers could go above the specs as they please. Are you sure that's right, seems kinda silly to me?

Archean said:
aj_the_kidd said:
Jibberish18 said:
aj_the_kidd said:

How is android cheap and copied. You're comparing touchwiz on your SGS to WP7 and calling that "android". That's *****ic in so many ways.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.moo.android.launcher.gingerbread

Yah, a 3D verical scrolling launcher with the apps running off of it on a 45 degree angle. Totally unoriginal, I mean every phone since 1802 has had that for the launcher.

Back