Microsoft annoys Chrome users with taskbar pop-up ads in Windows 10

Jos

Microsoft already uses Start menu ads in Windows 10 to get more people to install and use their apps, and it looks like the company is not only keeping it up but looking at other ways to annoy users. According a report by Myce, Microsoft has started to advertise its Personal Shopping Assistant (PSA) extension for Chrome to Windows 10 users with a small notification above the browser’s taskbar icon.

The extension is billed as a "smart shopping cart across the web" that can automatically organize visited product pages, mark them as favorites, and let you know of price changes among other things. The add-on itself has been around for about a year and is also available for Edge, Opera, and Firefox.

The ads have begun appearing to those testing the still-in-beta Creators Update for Windows. In a short statement due to the initial backlash, A Microsoft spokesperson wrote: "We are always testing new features and information that can help people enhance their Windows 10 experience.”

That isn’t stopping users from taking to Google's Chrome Web Store to complain about Microsoft's spammy ways and leave one star reviews for the extension in question.

Previously, Microsoft has used the Windows 10 task bar to convince Chrome users to switch to its own browser, with a small notification next to the battery percentage icon telling them that “Chrome is draining your battery faster. Switch to Microsoft Edge for up to 36% more browsing time.” 

They also ran a campaign  in 2016 that placed full screen Tomb Raider adds on users’ lock screens. Users could opt out by unchecking the box marked 'Get fun facts, tips, tricks and more on your lock screen' in their Windows 10 settings. Some are already speculating that Microsoft might be experimenting with the idea of offering a version of Windows for free, and a paid version that blocks advertising.

Permalink to story.

Youd think they would be actively trying to make windows 10 more likeable instead of digging it into a deeper hole. Every time they do this BS it gets more tempting to switch back to 7. I have no hatred for 10 but its all the little things - ads on lockscreen unless you disable the wallpaper switcher, constant badgering to use cortana and edge, etc.

Don't worry, I'm sure at least two people on this site will ardently defend Microsofts actions here and defend their beloved Windows 10 with flimsy excuses that crumble under their own weight.

Who ever thought this would be a good idea should be farking fired. I see non of this in build 15007, but there are plenty of builds to go, so they might add more shiat.

From the Google article comments
frostyshield

I like how people think companies should start being like "Hey use our competitors products!"

Are we hypocrites?

Don't worry, I'm sure at least two people on this site will ardently defend Microsofts actions here and defend their beloved Windows 10 with flimsy excuses that crumble under their own weight.
I'm not sure they can. What can you possibly say to make this look like it's a good thing? I haven't got this yet and I don't use Spybot or anything similar but I would gladly switch if it starts bothering me.

Once upon a time, "you never got fired for buying IBM." Then one day, you did. Microsoft is so destroying its products and the quality of its users' experience that they, too, may soon jump the shark.

I used to love them. I started to hate them with Windows 8. I had high hopes for Windows 10.

Now, more and more every day I really hate them. If only there were an equivalent for Outlook, Word, and Excel to run on Linux Mint, I'd be gone. PLEASE, someone, take up the challenge.

I have seen a couple pop up already. One telling me edge is faster than chrome and the other informing me it is more secure (13% to be exact...)

I'm not sure they can. What can you possibly say to make this look like it's a good thing? I haven't got this yet and I don't use Spybot or anything similar but I would gladly switch if it starts bothering me.

You would gladly switch for this reason alone? Wow, what would you switch to?

Hi. I have windows 10 and after numerous problems with chrome, I have uninstalled it for good on my computer. Now intermet explorer is giving me headaches with pop up, advertising and spam, and I cant see a way of getting rid of it. So now I only do searches on my.phone and tablet. Which is also a bit of a pain because of the shall street. Seriously thinking of having windows 10 and microsoft removed and get google and its software installed. Makes me very angry and frustrated.

I just don`t understand them. They said that Windows 10 is here to stay, so give it a rest, first fix it, people will switch once you offer them better product. It will take time but the more time the better because even after almost two years W10 is a mess, even Vista was working better after two years (it worked actually pretty good at that point).

Windows 10 is the worst Windows ever!

Once again MIcrosoft finds a unusual way to shoot itself in the head.

It should be all about user experience, not about market share, adoption rate and so on. Its incredible simple yet Microsoft is doing it all wrong, its really hard to believe that company of their status can do business this way. Heads would roll in Apple if they ever become like this. Incredible.

Back