Microsoft, Apple sued over touch-screens

By Matthew
Jul 21, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Microsoft, Apple and 20 other tech companies have been accused of violating a touch-screen patent. Tsera filed suit on July 15 claiming that several mainstream devices make use of a technology invented by the small company. Tsera supposedly owns the rights to a patent for “methods and apparatus for controlling a portable electronic device using a touchpad.”

Read the whole story
  2. It seems to me that the suit all rotates on how you define the word "touchpad" - if you consider the entire screen a touchpad then i suppose they have a case, but i don't think any one would conclude that when you buy a monitor your really paying for a "touchpad" that has an additional feature of a viewable monitor.
  3. polidiotic

polidiotic Newcomer, in training Posts: 103

I wish they would be laughed out of court... but these days? I dunno man. You'd think that if this were so important to them, they'd bring it up in 2003/2004. Friggin' opportunists.
  4. They are not disputing the new ipod they are disputing the classic, the one with the touchpad not the touchscreen, i bet they are gonna clean up as most of the companies involved will settle out of court.
  5. HaMsTeYr

HaMsTeYr TechSpot Maniac Posts: 387

I don't think It'll past but anyway...

on a side note, no one noticed that the Philips GoGear was called the Philips GoFear???? XD
  6. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,020   +83 Staff Member

@Hamsteyr: Haha.. fixed it in the local story. "GoFear" was pulled directly from the linked story. Thanks for pointing it out.
  7. polidiotic

The article says touch-screen and touch-pad.
  8. polidiotic

Ahh, I see where it describes the patent. Maybe they should be more specific... as touch-screen can be interpreted to be completely different from a touch-pad.
  9. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TechSpot Maniac Posts: 880   +52

I'm amused that Apple and Microsoft or on the same side of a lawsuit. That has got to be giving them both chills.
  10. HaMsTeYr

HaMsTeYr TechSpot Maniac Posts: 387

lol I myself noticed that i typed past instead of pass >_> oh well. Philips' player must be pretty good to chase the fear away hahaha

Microsoft and Apple's lawyers would probably stop this one no problem... >_> big corporations such as themselves have ways of escaping trouble...
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.