Microsoft 'Blue' to encompass Windows 8, Phone, Services and RT

By Shawn Knight
Feb 7, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft is currently working on a feature pack update for Windows 8, codenamed Blue, that’s expected sometime this summer or fall. This isn’t the first time we have heard about Blue as early rumors suggested it could be the follow-up...

Read more
  2. Will it include the start button and the classic start screen for programs if so then when it comes out I'll switch to Windows 8
    spydercanopus likes this.
  3. misor

misor TechSpot Addict Posts: 968   +147

My suspicion is that microsoft will change its licensing style to subscription.
    this may be upsetting at first but imo, it will curb out piracy.

imagine if microsoft will release to the public a free or a very low cost windows OS starter.

from the microsoft store, any user can then buy:
    pro pack for additional features
    enterprise pack for business
    mediacenter pack for home entertainment
    other apps
    no cost for updates and service packs for the first two years then 5$ per service pack thereafter.

(subscription model is already implemented by antivirus companies, cloud storage/retrieval services, movie/music/content streaming companies.)
  4. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TechSpot Guru Posts: 802   +87

I have always been the biggest fan of Microsoft, but until they restore the Start menu, my interest ends there. I'm too productive with it for it to be removed. Why can't it be a toggled option, at least?
    misor, hammer2085 and RmandsDC like this.
  5. treeski

treeski TechSpot Guru Posts: 867   +128

You could have just picked up Win8 with the $40 upgrade price and then something like Start8 or RetroUI for another $5.
  6. I think it will just be 9.95 per month or get a discount an pay $100 for the year. $100 per year is not that much to ask so you can use your computer and it is definitely not not too much to pay an additional $100 per year to use Microsoft Office. Plus there may even be a deal to get the OS and Office products for $150 per year.

This will be great. Never having to pay for another version of Microsoft.
  7. What, you would pay subscription with monopoly money?
    havok585 likes this.
  8. MrBungle

MrBungle TechSpot Booster Posts: 146   +64

Umm... no.

I'm much happier with an OEM copy of windows that I paid ~$100 for a couple years ago and the copy of Office 2003 that I bought from my college bookstore for $200 back in '04... Quite a bit cheaper in the long term than your subscription model and I don't have to remember to pay another bill.
  9. kissx

kissx TechSpot Member Posts: 37

Check out start8 from stardock.com
  10. ..hearing the name is more than enough to make me feels in blue..
  11. AndrewZar

AndrewZar Newcomer, in training

Ok, so we know the name of it, but not a single feature or aspect of it? Not very exciting.

12. The start menu is a option - it's called "Desktop" and allows you to use windows with the old style UI...
  13. There still isnt a start menu in desktop mode. It acts like windows 7 with out the start button...

but I love windows 8

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.