Microsoft CEO had his bonus cut due to KIN failure

Emil

Staff

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer did not receive his maximum bonus for the last fiscal year, despite a record year for the software giant, according to Reuters. 54-year-old Ballmer took the hit due to the "unsuccessful launch of the Kin phone, loss of market share in the company's mobile phone business, and the need for the company to pursue innovations to take advantage of new form factors," as described by the company's annual proxy filing. Earlier this week, Ballmer did say in an interview that the KIN defocused activity from Windows Phone.

Ballmer received a cash bonus of $670,000 for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2010. That might seem like quite a lot, and it's actually equal to Ballmer's salary, but it's only half the maximum bonus payout. Despite Microsoft's successful sales of Windows 7, the company has had a poor year in the mobile space.

Microsoft killed the KIN just a few weeks after the handsets started to ship. In the mean time, Windows Mobile has been steadily losing share to competitors Apple, Google, Nokia, and RIM. Windows Phone 7 is launching in the next two months, just in time for the holiday season; will Ballmer get a bigger bonus in the next fiscal year?

Permalink to story.

jesus christ does ballmer REALLY need the money? corporate america and their ridiculous salaries pay outs.

a247 said:
jesus christ does ballmer REALLY need the money? corporate america and their ridiculous salaries pay outs.

I really don't care how much they make. It's really none of anybody's business, except theirs, as long as they're making that money legally. If Ballmer made $670k as a bonus, good for him. It isn't about whether he needs it or not, he brought in alot of business for M$, made the board, and its shareholders happy, and therefore earned it.

People are way too serious about how much corporate executives make, when it's really none of their business in the first place.

Ya, it's nobody's business that american tax payers get legally f^^^^^d over by AIG etc and your war profiteers. So naive. Actually, it's Big Business dummy.

if a corporation gets no subsidies from the government at all and pay their taxes, then sure, its none of our business. but if they DO recieve government money in ANY way, then yes it does become our business.

Guest said:
Ya, it's nobody's business that american tax payers get legally f^^^^^d over by AIG etc and your war profiteers. So naive. Actually, it's Big Business dummy.
Microsoft isn't AIG, "dummy" did you miss the part about "legally" ...."dummy"?

@Guest #2 That I agree with AIG should get screwed to the floorboards for that little stunt they pulled....twice, once they get gov funds...oh wait...they shouldn't get gov $$$$

One can easily argue that "corporation" includes "tax shelter" by definition. Secondly, when ones chances of effective legal representation are directly related to how many $ they have to invest in a desirable verdict, then "legal" takes on a different meaning from its more traditional and obviously outdated connotation.

Guest #1 is dead on and it's too quickly eroding away at the foundations of this once great country.

It also goes by another more simple name. It starts with a G.

I'll say it again. As long as the company, and its executives are making money legally (and I should also throw in the word ethically), it is absolutely none of our business what the executives make. Call it a tax shelter if you want, but do you know how many tens of millions of dollars they give to charities globally to get those tax breaks? Look up how much money Bill Gates gave to charities every year.

These people aren't demonic just because they make 10,000% more than you or your parents, they're simply more intelligent.

If you have a problem with the amount they pay in taxes, then join the IRS and move up the ranks so you can do something to change the tax codes. /facepalm

Actually, if those numbers are correct, then Mr. Baumer's salary and bonus income, is rather pedestrian, considering the amount of money that M$ grosses during an average year. I can't picture him doing that job, for that money, unless he has a substantial block of stock to subsidize his income.

If we were talking about any major investment firm, those numbers might be a hundred fold higher, and it really would be our money we're talking about. Not to mention that those executives would be paid more handsomely, for overt, public, failure.

a247 said:
Don't worry, The Congress of "change" makes only $450,000 a year. They should be fixing the problem shortly.

Don't worry, The Congress of "change" makes only $450,000 a year. They should be fixing the problem shortly.
Right, after they legislate domain seizure, plant trojans at all the ISPs in the country, vote themselves another pay raise, and take a long, luxurious junket at taxpayer expense. then go into recess...... "First things first", that's what I always say...

The guy's net worth is $15B, what's a few hundred K to him? Probably not worth the hassle to deposit the check, not that he does that himself. I don't think he works at MS for the paycheck.

Back