TechSpot

Microsoft closes 2011 with an emergency Windows Update

By Matthew
Dec 29, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft has issued a rare out-of-band update to plug a vulnerability in the .NET Framwork. The bulletin (MS11-100) comes several weeks before the next regularly scheduled Patch Tuesday in mid-January…

Read the whole story

2. Nima304

Nima304 TS Enthusiast Posts: 305   +37

Interesting.

3. Gars

Gars TS Enthusiast Posts: 228

hm
    logged just to say that today got some unusual lockups like:
    - foobar
    - utorrenent
    - mpc
    before that Ive experience a sound glitch
    something like "high voltage" + "punk, you get it"

for now, things r common

4. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Booster Posts: 990   +98

Funny I should see this after logging into my hotmail account about 20mins ago, and given a mandatory account password change, for someone else using my account. Sure enough in the sent box were eight addresses I didn't recognize, sent in the past couple weeks, with the only activity before that being in 2009.

5. Recently I downloaded Explorer 9 and ever since I have been having problems viewing some videos sites. For example if I bring up MSN and want to watch a news video I can hear the sounds but the picture isn't there or it is just bits and pieces like tile. I can videos of YouTube but many internet chat sites I can't see what I am typing. Does anyone have an idea of what's wrong. Before downloading, Explorer 7 worked fine. Thanks.

6. Guest your fault is using Internet explorer in the first place don't you know their are a hell of a lot more secure and faster alternatives to internet explorer?

7. You still use IE?

8. bigceebin4

bigceebin4 TS Rookie

I have W7 on one machine and WHS 2011 on another (in the same office). I have been simultaneously updating them the past few days. I rely on ASP .NET quite a bit in, and all the update have referenced .NET or some security patch.

And please use Chrome..

9. I have installed this on a few servers, the majority did not require a reboot however one did. Overall a quick patch install without any problems.

10. jtennison

jtennison TS Rookie

"... Security Bulletin page doesn't mention a mandatory reboot"

It required a reboot on my Win7-SP1 system!

11. superty12

superty12 TS Enthusiast Posts: 432

No surprise that this is how Microsoft welcomes a new year...

12. Why use IE? What has it done for you?

13. Dannyk0ed

Dannyk0ed TS Member Posts: 79

IE was great,but then firefox came along.

14. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,077   +84 Staff Member

I didn't have to reboot on Win7 Home Premium x64.

15. 4 diiferent machines--all WIN7.
    No reboot.

16. Ditto no reboot.

17. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TS Maniac Posts: 546

Check for updates but don't install. Win 7 64 bit. No updates in the last week, at all. I don;t use IE tho. Did A fresh install on another machine and im pretty sure this update was in there. My windows update on this machine says everything up to date which is odd looking at the update history its not on there... (Same version of windows)

18. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 TS Rookie Posts: 489

At least the guys at Microsoft didn't go home early for the holidays. This patch is most appreciated.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.