TechSpot

Microsoft cofounder sues Apple, Google, Facebook, more

By Matthew
Aug 27, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft cofounder Paul Allen has essentially sued the Internet today, chasing after 11 massive IT companies for patent infringement. Allen has opened suit against Apple, Facebook, Google (and its subsidiary YouTube), AOL, eBay, Netflix, Office Depot, OfficeMax, Staples, and Yahoo, alleging that they use technology created by his firm in the 90s.

Read the whole story

2. Hackemate?

3. KG363

KG363 TS Enthusiast Posts: 524   +9

That's pathetic. Way to wait until a decade after it was copied...

4. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,967   +955

Doesn't any statute of limitations apply to anything, anymore?

5. Maybe they're trying to gather funds for their next advertisement campaign, you know, for that thingy called Windows Phone Something...

6. Good for them. If it was my idea I'd do the same. Funny how people cry about it when it's MS people doing the suing.

7. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,475   +624

Haha, and the patent links are via Google Patents. :D

8. Richy2k9

Richy2k9 TS Enthusiast Posts: 515

hello ...

i think there is patent & 'patent' .... someone can't just go & fill tons of ideas they can't put forward themselves & later on tax others for using same for there are no other routes or of some similitudes ...

it's like someone in the beginning go & fill a patent for human to breathe in & out oxygen, as no one would think of 'owning' this process in the first place, then tax all humans for they do so ...

i think those delivering patents should have strict conditions applied. tomorrow i can go & fill a patent for an idea of an invention i just don't have anything material or knowledge to create & when the real genius get the job done, i'm in for some milking ....

OK, i'm off filling patent for the following: time machine (oops! already taken), hyper-hd resolution, synthetic brain-powered computers ... LOL (Oops, do i have to pay anything also for saying some words !!?)

cheers!

9. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TS Maniac Posts: 551

LOL just LOL.

10. tengeta

tengeta TS Enthusiast Posts: 632

I guess Microsoft wants to make up for all the suing against them over the past 5 years. You don't poke the bear people.

11. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,967   +955

I think he's just mad cause Bill Gates gets all the attention, and most of the money.

12. Yeah, I read "Microsoft cofounder Paul Allen" and immediately thought, "Paul Allen...oh yeah, I remember hearing about him once."

13. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 907   +54

I kind of hope he's doing this to prove how messed up the patent system is.

14. ...and just below the original article, in a subtly passive-aggressive condemnation of Paul Allen's legal action, the Wall Street Journal included "Related Stories" and "Related Videos"...

15. lpmjames

lpmjames TS Rookie Posts: 155

oprah = stedman
    gates = allen

he was just there to rub gates' feet at night

16. No point in suing at the start...all you get is lawyers fees to pay. Let them make some money and settle for millions

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.