TechSpot

Microsoft collects royalties from over half of all Android devices sold

By Shawn Knight
Oct 24, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft has announced their tenth license agreement that provides patent coverage for Android mobile phones and tablets. The deal marks the ninth agreement for Microsoft in the past four months…

Read the whole story

2. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,078   +76

I'd say that pretty much sums it up. I'd love to see Google go after them.

3. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd TS Rookie Posts: 555

"some believe that Microsoft is actually making more money from Android sales than they are from their own Windows Phone products"
    This i could believe.

Even though this news annoys me, i would rather this than what Apple did to Samsung. At least MS is allowing the products to sell

4. Apparently, phones manufacturers could come up with some sort of scheme to release phones with some simplified, rudimentary OS that will work basic stuff (BADA maybe) without "infringing" any M$ patent, and then offer the free upgrade through external party, so M$ and other trolls wouldn't know how many are there actually released. Don't tell me the hardware on wave and galaxy is that different. ;-)

5. humblechap

humblechap TS Rookie Posts: 37

Micro$oft...

6. The things that the Android is infringing on is the ability for them to access SSD and similar things that use the FAT or FAT-32 file system. If they would produce hardware that did not require FAT or FAT-32 Microsoft would get nothing!

At this point most phones or tablets use SSD's and probably will not go away soon. Let us hope that the patents for these run out in the next 15 years.

7. Technically it's not extortion, it's racketeering.

8. i would ditch microsoft and google for apple if the prices weren't cheaper.

9. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,062   +77

Well I have always sided with Steve Job's assertion that Google stole on the grand scale for android and I still stand by this, so frankly I have absolutely no sympathy for them. In fact he accused Eric of 'Grand Theft' ;).

10. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,628   +113

"Microsoft?s PR chief Frank Shaw replied to the statement via Twitter: "Let me boil down the Google statement ... from 48 words to 1: Waaaah.""

I wouldn't make this kind childish statement to the public about competitors of the company I work for and I'm not in PR. Really there are people out there that have very poor public images due to stupid things like this. It's like a playground/school retort.

11. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,062   +77

Well people behave or say things which one may or may not agree, so I don't see much issue with it Arris, remember Steve's comments (although I'd say it will be prudent if people maintain at least semblance of objectiveness) "...... likens Google products outside of search to defecation".

12. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 TS Rookie Posts: 489

Android's success also helps fatten Microsoft's bank account. I guess in this case MIcrosoft really out maneuvered Google.

13. Mizzou

Mizzou TS Enthusiast Posts: 930

Behind the scenes Google is gobbling up as many patents as they can; it appears they are playing the same game as Microsoft.
    from this article Google Patents

Agree, making no comment would have been a far better response than this. This does nothing except further tarnish Microsoft’s less than stellar PR image and plays right into Google’s hands.

14. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

I think the difference here is that they are licensing the technology, not, oh, I don't know, issuing injunctions and suing to stop sales.

MS owns patents. So does Google. So does Apple. We all understand that, and we all understand that part of any device's cost comes from paying patent fees. But unless the whole system is scrapped, why is MS the bad guy all of a sudden.

Unless Google allows other companies to use its patents for no charge, in which case I retract my post.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.