TechSpot

Microsoft commits to Surface, offers 4.5 years of support

By Rick
Nov 26, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. If you've refrained from buying a Surface tablet due to fears it would disappear like The Kin, then it may now be time to reconsider. It appears Surface RT tablet owners will receive four and a half years of "mainstream"...

Read more

2. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,157   +195

Since windows surface rt is arm-based, the hardware upgrade path is limited; a user can add a (micro)sd card for extra storage but no arm processor upgrade.

maybe a windows surface pro user can choose to upgrade processor (after the warranty expires) which will make the sturdy windows surface pro a better device at the beginning and in the long run.

3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,820

As far as I'm concerned Microsoft is burning a bridge with Windows 7 support. I couldn't care less what kind of commitment they give Windows Surface. I bought Windows 7 not Windows surface. I'm not going to expect any better support out of their next line of products.

4. Chazz

Chazz TS Evangelist Posts: 666   +72

Out of curiosity, what negative support did you experience? Or are you referring to no service pack 2?

5. Or was it Microsoft's decision to not put out Direct X 11.1 for it?

6. Or that you can not find it in stores anymore.

7. OortCloud

OortCloud TS Booster Posts: 113   +27

It's a really bad sign when a product just released is already talking about how long it will be supported. Unhappy times at Microsoft!

8. M$ has support? I thought once you forget you password you're most likely screwed.