TechSpot

Microsoft commits to Surface, offers 4.5 years of support

By Rick
Nov 26, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. If you've refrained from buying a Surface tablet due to fears it would disappear like The Kin, then it may now be time to reconsider. It appears Surface RT tablet owners will receive four and a half years of "mainstream"...

Read more

2. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,025   +154

Since windows surface rt is arm-based, the hardware upgrade path is limited; a user can add a (micro)sd card for extra storage but no arm processor upgrade.

maybe a windows surface pro user can choose to upgrade processor (after the warranty expires) which will make the sturdy windows surface pro a better device at the beginning and in the long run.

3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,262   +1,551

As far as I'm concerned Microsoft is burning a bridge with Windows 7 support. I couldn't care less what kind of commitment they give Windows Surface. I bought Windows 7 not Windows surface. I'm not going to expect any better support out of their next line of products.

4. Chazz

Chazz TS Enthusiast Posts: 635   +60

Out of curiosity, what negative support did you experience? Or are you referring to no service pack 2?

5. Or was it Microsoft's decision to not put out Direct X 11.1 for it?

6. Or that you can not find it in stores anymore.

7. OortCloud

OortCloud TS Rookie Posts: 34

It's a really bad sign when a product just released is already talking about how long it will be supported. Unhappy times at Microsoft!

8. M$ has support? I thought once you forget you password you're most likely screwed.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.