Microsoft confirms next-generation Xbox reveal for May 21st

Jos

Staff

Microsoft has officially confirmed May 21 as the reveal date for its next-generation Xbox console. Invitations for a press event at 10:00 AM Pacific Time on Microsoft's Xbox Campus in Redmond, Washington went out today to select members of the press, while everyone else will be able to access a live feed of the presentation on Xbox.com, Xbox LIVE, and Spike TV if you are in the US or Canada.

The company isn't sharing any details at this stage besides explicitly teasing the Xbox reveal. Microsoft’s Larry Hryb (aka Major Nelson) said the event will mark “the beginning of a new generation of games, TV and entertainment”, promising to give us a real taste of their vision for Xbox at the event followed by a showcase of their full lineup of blockbuster games 19 days later at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles.

microsoft xbox

The wording suggests Microsoft will be following a similar approach to Sony’s PlayStation 4 unveil, emphasizing content and features while reserving everything else for E3. Hopefully, they’ll also take the opportunity to address concerns about the rumored ‘always-online’ requirement and clear things up once and for all.

Besides gaming, Microsoft’s “vision for Xbox” likely involves the console’s continued transformation into a home entertainment device, something they’ve been pushing hard with this generation and is believed to have played a big part in making the Xbox 360 the top-selling home console in the U.S. for 27 straight months.

According to the latest rumors, Microsoft is going with a two-SKU strategy this time around, releasing a separate console with a more limited feature as the “Xbox Mini”. In a nutshell, this is supposedly a repackaged and reoriented $99 Xbox 360 unit to access the platform’s entertainment apps (think Apple TV competitor) and play games from Xbox Live. It’s unclear if Microsoft will discuss this at the event but we wouldn’t count on it.

Update: Tom Warren points to this tweet from Larry Hryb on February 20 following Sony's PlayStation 4 presentation. So... will we actually see the next Xbox on May 21?

Permalink to story.

I think this was a wise decision by MS to exploit Sony. I think a next gen console > a remote.

Well only 26 more days until its revealed that its already out of date hardware when compared to current gen gaming PCs. No thanks.

I like how everything is always a secret. How about if we keep it a secret from them if we are going to buy one or not.

I like how everything is always a secret. How about if we keep it a secret from them if we are going to buy one or not.
The suspense kills the little kiddies that have been waiting all throughout middle and high school to get a new gaming console. I could not possibly care less about the new xbox. The only upside that I can see is the fact that now newer PC games will be coded with better graphics because they won't have to completely re-code a game for it to work on the xbox from the PC since they're both going to be direct X 11. This will lead to less mishaps like Crysis 2...

In case you missed it, check this out:

Next-gen Xbox details leaked, from someone who claims to have one
https://www.techspot.com/news/51612...aked-from-someone-who-claims-to-have-one.html

From mid-February? I remember that story, and I can't remember seeing it on any other sites I visit since that day, or since. And 21 bids for a total of $420? From that alone I'm gonna call bs.

That's a physical system, and this brought in more...
http://www.igniq.com/2009/02/man-pays-800-for-empty-xbox-360-box-on-ebay

In case you missed it, check this out:

Next-gen Xbox details leaked, from someone who claims to have one
https://www.techspot.com/news/51612...aked-from-someone-who-claims-to-have-one.html

From mid-February? I remember that story, and I can't remember seeing it on any other sites I visit since that day, or since. And 21 bids for a total of $420? From that alone I'm gonna call bs.

That's a physical system, and this brought in more...
http://www.igniq.com/2009/02/man-pays-800-for-empty-xbox-360-box-on-ebay
T_T everyone takes all the good ideas before me. I hate that :(

The suspense kills the little kiddies that have been waiting all throughout middle and high school to get a new gaming console. I could not possibly care less about the new xbox. The only upside that I can see is the fact that now newer PC games will be coded with better graphics because they won't have to completely re-code a game for it to work on the xbox from the PC since they're both going to be direct X 11. This will lead to less mishaps like Crysis 2...
I mostly agree apart from the Crysis 2 part

Well only 26 more days until its revealed that its already out of date hardware when compared to current gen gaming PCs. No thanks.
Lol, there's still profit in it being outdated though. PS2 made it work with it's extremely out of date hardware. 720 should do just fine and make more profit than pc as usual

I mostly agree apart from the Crysis 2 part
The graphics of Crysis 2 should have been so much better. They dumbed that game down so the xbox could handle it.

Agreed, it wasn't just the graphics though, the game itself was rubbish compared to the first, first of all, you walked down corridors and things happen around you in Crysis 2, in the first Crysis each level was more of a sandbox, you could approach anything from any angle.

Crysis 2 was the biggest disappointment, so much so, It was the last time I will ever pre-order a game.
I purchased Crysis 1, not really knowing what to expect, but the game was just awesome, pre-ordered Crysis 2, biggest let down this century...

Most likely still going to buy it even if its always on. I am not going to change to Sony, no offense. I just prefer Xbox and I think MS will surprise people. I have a nice PC anyway so if I cant get online I don't care. Not saying it is right but if you cant even play a game offline after downloading updates first then that is bullcrap but still wont stop me.

That is why I never buy stuff on eBay really unless I have too. I always here about people getting games early and instead of buying the game, they buy the "Box" on ebay lol.

Agreed, it wasn't just the graphics though, the game itself was rubbish compared to the first, first of all, you walked down corridors and things happen around you in Crysis 2, in the first Crysis each level was more of a sandbox, you could approach anything from any angle.

Crysis 2 was the biggest disappointment, so much so, It was the last time I will ever pre-order a game.
I purchased Crysis 1, not really knowing what to expect, but the game was just awesome, pre-ordered Crysis 2, biggest let down this century...
Well, yeah. The DX11 patch was a bit late also.

I'm looking forward to it , assuming it's not too expensive I will definetly get one , I like owning a PC and an xbox. Be good news for PC games as well , all the cross platform games will be a lot better. Finally can get rid of the memory limits of the current xbox .

Be interested in the price , usually we get ripped of in the UK when the price in dollars gets magically tranformed into the same amount in pounds. My preference is xbox but I can easily be persuaded to get a PS4 instead if its simply better.

Back