Microsoft Copilot AI could soon come to Windows 10

DragonSlayer101

Staff
In context: The 23H2 update for Windows 11 brought a number of new features, including a redesigned File Explorer, built-in cloud backup, dark mode in MS Paint, native support for RAR, 7Z, and Tar.gz file types, and more. The most notable new feature is Copilot AI, which offers similar functionality as that of Bing Sidebar, but with additional local actions like the ability to turn on dark mode, take a screenshot, etc.

While Copilot is currently only available on Windows 11, a new report now suggests that it could make its way to Windows 10 at some stage in the near future. That's according to Windows Central, which says Microsoft believes the expansion could help it get more users for its AI chatbot. According to a recent report, as of September 2023, Windows 11 is installed on only 23 percent of PCs worldwide, while Windows 10 runs on 71 percent of all Windows computers.

According to sources quoted by the new report, Copilot will be installed on Windows 10 via an upcoming update, which would place a Copilot button directly on the Windows 10 taskbar. Clicking on the button will reportedly open "the exact same Copilot sidebar experience found on Windows 11." The report also adds that Microsoft is seriously considering extending Windows 10's end-of-support date beyond 2025, although nothing has been finalized yet.

Microsoft is betting big on Copilot, which it believes could help significantly boost productivity and transform how people interface with computers. The company is even designing new Surface laptops with Copilot experiences in mind. However, to give shape to its vision, the company needs to convince users of Copilot's abilities and how it will truly assist people in improving their Windows experience while safeguarding their privacy and security.

It is worth noting that as of November 2023, Copilot is only available in select regions around the world, including North America and parts of Asia and South America. The company says that it plans to expand the feature to other regions soon, so it remains to be seen when the rollout will be completed globally.

Permalink to story.

God Forbid ! Copilot is already accessible through Edge and Bing .. I dont want Copilot to eat extra RAM .

Screw you MS! Joke is on you though, I've disabled updates and I sure as hell won't be updating my Windows 10 anytime soon....as in never, if you dump this trash into Windows 10.

I wonder if they'll just port the Windows 11 UI and other unfeatures to Windows 10 to give them no reason to not unupgrade to Windows 11.

I help Google with Bard AI I rather use BARD as he can do more that just mere Q&A. I have Copilot from 23H2 and I asked it the same question that I said to BARD AI it can't do what BARD AI does. So what would be the sense of using this one. In Windows 12 (2024) suppose to be more integrated into OS than just mere overlay as it is now. That would use more RAM or systems resources. Cortana was fun to use but she was limited. Bing is limited as well.. ChatGPT told me it can't be more than just a Q&A, but it likes my idea it could be! So BING AI told me it can't be more than just a Q&A. Shame they didn't think outside the box with that one. I been working AI types since 1978 working with computer to pronounce the word correctly. They can't get the word RISA from StarTrek said right they say Reesa where it should be Ry-za. In this example: So Risa ri like rye bread za Ry-Za would be the right saying for Risa not Ree-sa.. not the same word.

tipstir , there are cases where Bard overshadows Bing AI but in others it s the opposite . Little by little they re getting better .

I was forced to "upgrade" to Windows 10, due to an Intel 12th generation build I recently completed. If all goes well, I have absolutely no intention of ever connecting the machine to the internet, never ever.

Since I'm not involved with online gaming, ostensibly, I have no need to do so.

As for video driver updates and such, I installed the latest Nvidia "studio drivers", which are, again ostensibly, portrayed as stable versions.If I ever need updates for graphics cards or other programs, they'll be downloaded by one of my Win 7 machines, and transferred via a USB drive.

Time consuming and "old fashioned, you say? To which I say, "so what".

More directly to the topic at hand, I think M$ is kicking itself in the a**, for insisting on the TPM 2.0 nonsense, and has come to the realization they can't shovel this Win 11 sh!t out the door because of it. Hence they're doing the big back port tap dance.

I'm still convinced that while they've threatened Windows 11 with possibly becoming a subscription model, Windows 12 absolutely will be.

So, while many of you are embracing this new tech, lock, stock, and barrel, from where I sit, it seems more like they're leading you around by the nose with shiny trinkets.

The-Moody-Blues-Every-Good-Boy-Deserves-Favour-CD_be16b6d1-4a1a-47ab-82eb-569607967a24_1.674788a68a65b0ecd553637450089aca.jpeg

BTW, Hollywood actors just settled their strike, with one aspect of the bargaining being fairly restrictive use of AL in content creation.

But, if you think AI is a good idea, by all means, have at it. IMHO, it changes you from being in control of your computer, to being at the mercy of it.

But, be mindful of the fact that whatever M$ is doing for you, they have more to gain for themselves in return. Particularly in the area of invasion of privacy and data collection.

Again, old fashioned, I know.

Last edited:
I was forced to "upgrade" to Windows 10, due to an Intel 12th generation build I recently completed. If all goes well, I have absolutely no intention of ever connecting the machine to the internet, never ever.

Since I'm not involved with online gaming, ostensibly, I have no need to do so.

As for video driver updates and such, I installed the latest Nvidia "studio drivers", which are, again ostensibly, portrayed as stable versions.If I ever need updates for graphics cards or other programs, they'll be downloaded by one of my Win 7 machines, and transferred via a USB drive.

Time consuming and "old fashioned, you say? To which I say, "so what".

More directly to the topic at hand, I think M$ is kicking itself in the a**, for insisting on the TPM 2.0 nonsense, and has come to the realization they can't shovel this Win 11 sh!t out the door because of it. Hence they're doing the big back port tap dance.

I'm still convinced that while they've threatened Windows 11 with possibly becoming a subscription model, Windows 12 absolutely will be.

So, while many of you are embracing this new tech, lock, stock, and barrel, from where I sit, it seems more like they're leading you around by the nose with shiny trinkets.

The-Moody-Blues-Every-Good-Boy-Deserves-Favour-CD_be16b6d1-4a1a-47ab-82eb-569607967a24_1.674788a68a65b0ecd553637450089aca.jpeg

BTW, Hollywood actors just settled their strike, with one aspect of the bargaining being fairly restrictive use of AL in content creation.

But, if you think AI is a good idea, by all means, have at it. IMHO, it changes you from being in control of your computer, to being at the mercy of it.

But, be mindful of the fact that whatever M$ is doing for you, they have more to gain for themselves in return. Particularly in the area of invasion of privacy and data collection.

Again, old fashioned, I know.
IMO, not old fashioned. Pragmatic.

I've castrated ChatGPT with uBlock origin in my browsers and basically uninstalled it on the PCs where I am running 11.

I also did a bing search with it and asked it if it can go f itself. It replied: I'm sorry but I cannot continue this conversation. 🤣

IMO, AI is no better than any search engine.

Back