Microsoft deploys takedown notices to those hosting Xbox 720 roadmap

Shawn Knight

Staff member

A 56-page PowerPoint file supposedly containing plans for Microsoft’s next generation gaming console was posted on Scribd last weekend. The file has since found a home on multiple hosting services and websites but that run could be short-lived as Microsoft’s legal team has reportedly been sending takedown notices to sites hosting the writings.

The original file has been removed from Scribd at the request of Covington & Burling LLP, a group that represents Microsoft according to their client list. Furthermore, a technology site based in the Czech Republic called Ihned.cz received a letter from Alan Radford, an Internet investigator working on behalf of Microsoft.

The letter notes that a domain under the site owner’s control is offering unlicensed copies of, or is engaging in other unauthorized activities with relation to copyrighted material owned by Microsoft. The document is referred to as the IEB Roadmap in the letter. The author asks that the content be removed or have access to it disabled.

If Microsoft is indeed asking websites to stop hosting the file, one would have to think that the leaked document is indeed genuine. Of course, a two-year-old PowerPoint file is likely outdated at this point but there’s little doubt that a majority of the material found within will be coming down the pipeline at some point.

The document was allegedly written in 2010 and chronicles multiple events that have come to fruition since its inception but as CNET points out, the interesting bits include mention of a $299 Xbox 720 bundled with a Kinect 2 camera accessory. The bundle is expected to launch in time for the 2013 holiday buying season with plans for a 10-year lifecycle and a goal to sell 100 million units.

Permalink to story.

I wish people would say "next gen xbox" instead of "xbox 720"

anyway...a 10 YEAR lifecycle? dear god..

anyway, just read through the leak and microsoft cares WAY too much about "competition" from apple TV and google TV. People aren't going to buy their console to replace their current high tech setups. Consoles are for GAMING. focus on GAMES instead of TV.

anyway, just read through the leak and microsoft cares WAY too much about "competition" from apple TV and google TV. People aren't going to buy their console to replace their current high tech setups. Consoles are for GAMING. focus on GAMES instead of TV.

No offense, but I'm pretty glad you're not in charge of Microsoft, lol. The Xbox is going far beyond *just* a tool for gaming. It is an entertainment console. I don't think you have to worry about the gaming aspect... they've already got that down. If you don't want to use the rest of the features, you don't have to.

Looks like ten years of crappy ports to pc. Thankfully though most of the games I play are pc specific.

No offense, but I'm pretty glad you're not in charge of Microsoft, lol. The Xbox is going far beyond *just* a tool for gaming. It is an entertainment console. I don't think you have to worry about the gaming aspect... they've already got that down. If you don't want to use the rest of the features, you don't have to.
id rather them use resources to give us the features that gamers have been asking for for years and years instead of trying to make themselves money.

Microsoft is currently undergoing a personality disorder and it isn't sure if it should be arthur or marthur, don't worry about it I'm sure all those ppl in marketing dept are keeping their jobs though with these "new" (recycled cough cough) ideas that other companies have tried and failed at in the past.

Well.. at least in my case, the problem is that now the xbox is full with all the other stuff.. but I can't use any because none are available in my country. So, Microsoft should either keep xbox for gaming only, or offer support other feature also. Especially because they announced that they will add support for my country 6 or 7 years ago. Anyway.. ever since the last update, when all the other features have been highlighted in the menu instead of games I stopped using the xbox. It's annoying to see so many random stuff that I can't actually use.

Don't worry about the gaming aspect? They've already got that down? HA what a joke. They need to focus more on games not sucking so f***ing bad. Watching a friend play skyrim on xbox I almost died laughing at how bad is. Looked like he was getting 20fps in a normal battle. On top of looking like sh1t.

Features are nice, but not at the expense of the main reason people buy a damn console.

10 year lifecycle... Holy crap I can see all they Shi*ty pc ports already, coming our way.

@Ranger12, I feel you man. It's sad that Devs are so damn lazy these days. Just shotgun out the next title (CoD for example) to the console, then drag and drop that crap console code to a pc port!

They need to focus more on games not sucking so f***ing bad. Watching a friend play skyrim on xbox I almost died laughing at how bad is.
Blame the game devs, not the hardware. It's like blaming your videocard for a program that didn't install it's own required DLL file and fails to start. lol

Don't worry about the gaming aspect? They've already got that down? HA what a joke. They need to focus more on games not sucking so f***ing bad. Watching a friend play skyrim on xbox I almost died laughing at how bad is. Looked like he was getting 20fps in a normal battle. On top of looking like sh1t.

Features are nice, but not at the expense of the main reason people buy a damn console.

10 year lifecycle... Holy crap I can see all they Shi*ty pc ports already, coming our way.

@Ranger12, I feel you man. It's sad that Devs are so damn lazy these days. Just shotgun out the next title (CoD for example) to the console, then drag and drop that crap console code to a pc port!

+1

[quote="TheFa11en, post: 1191210, member: 314679"They need to focus more on games not sucking so f***ing bad. Watching a friend play skyrim on xbox I almost died laughing at how bad is.
Blame the game devs, not the hardware. It's like blaming your videocard for a program that didn't install it's own required DLL file and fails to start. lol[/quote]

No, no. You misunderstand, were talking about the new console they are working on. They need to make the hardware better so the games won't suck so bad when they dump the game over to pc. To clarify.

Also by "lazy devs" I meant that they make a game for console (which is fine because truthfully it makes them the most $) but then if they decide to bring it to pc and they do a terrible job. Resulting in a terriable game, then blame piracy. Which isn't the major reason why. It's because the game just isn't good.

The TV functionality is VERY old hat with PS3 having access to PlayTV for years now.

I do not see how that can be considered a selling point for a 'next gen' console?

Back