Microsoft details Windows 8 and SkyDrive integration, Metro-style app

By Leeky
Feb 21, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft has confirmed that their cloud storage product, SkyDrive, will be getting a Metro-style app for the upcoming Windows 8 release, in addition to multiple changes as it looks to compete more…

Read the whole story
  2. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,884   +77

He obviously wanted a boy.
  3. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +90

Lol. I was going to say something along that line.
  4. What is Microsoft thinking?? I can foresee numerous and serious security issues with SkyDrive!

First, the program is partially written with Java which is notorious for lapses in security and second, there appears to be a couple different ways others can access your SkyDrive data.

Now I'm sure someone will point out that only the owner of the files on SkyDrive will be able to give permission to others to access this information but I am predicting that these "permissions" will be full of security holes that will be bypassed or exploited by some hacker.
  5. They're thinking that people want cloud storage, and that everyone else is making cloud storage available, and that they'll be behind if they don't. I would never put anything personal on anyone's cloud, whether it be Microsoft's, Apple's, or Dropbox's. The only thing I can foresee putting up is music to sync between my computers and my windows phone.
  6. Regarding my post about only putting music up:
    I am aware that Microsoft is planning a separate service for that to replace peoples' usage of Skydrive for music, but until that becomes available for both desktop and mobile Windows platforms, I'll be using Skydrive...
  7. I love this step. finaly my files will be easly accessible on my phone, or another pc that i visit!
  8. lawfer

Unfortunately, you have no idea what you are talking about.

This is not simply a Web App. The SkyDrive app will run inside the new WinRT. Its a sandboxed model.
  9. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 385   +10

Apples and oranges here? Seems to me the potential problem will be restricting access to files in the SkyDrive storage space, not to the PC or smart phone or whatever device you use to access the cloud. If that's right, sandboxing the SkyDrive app would not cure the problem (though it would be great for the PC, notebook or whatever).

That's a question, not an objection - I'm probably missing something.
  10. lawfer

I think you are.

The SkyDrive app is not the same as the web app version. Functionality-wise yes they are, but not fundamentally.

Permissions will be granted via email and/or cellphone verification. JS has absolutely nothing to do with how this mechanism works or doesn't work.

(Google does it to verify the identity of new gmail accounts, and it works flawlessly by the way.)

Also, I don't understand what you mean by restricting access to certain files in the cloud storage. It has been made clear in both the article and in the videos that you and only you will have the power to grant acces to other devices/persons. There's nothing to restrict if you allow access in the first place. Conversely, there's nothing to worry about if only you are responsible.

It's like being worried about your future house's security, because you believe you'll have to lend the keys to <i>that</i> &quot;friend&quot; eventually. How is it the house's supposed lack of security to blame for your dead fish or your unwatered plants?
  11. bounca99

bounca99 Newcomer, in training

I think this is a good idea to quickly make files or docs available. Like everything else, you have a choice. if you dont like it, this can probably be disabled and if not, just dont use it.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.