Microsoft details Windows Phone 8, arriving this fall

By Jos
Jun 20, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft's Windows Phone Developer Summit kicked off just a few hours ago where the company is sharing a bit of what's coming with the next major update to their smartphone platform. Among the most noticeable changes at first glance is…

Read more
  2. KG363

KG363 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 524   +9

The lack of upgradability for us 7.5 users really ticks me off. I hope that 7.8 will be nearly the same, though. I'll have to wait until fall 2013 to upgrade then.
  3. treeski

treeski TechSpot Guru Posts: 867   +128

It is annoying, I agree. At least they're not completely ignoring the 7.5 users. I got my Samsung Focus shortly after it came out, so my next update should be right around when WinPhone8 is available.
  4. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TechSpot Guru Posts: 585   +45

So excited for this! I held off on upgrading my Samsung Focus to a second gen Windows Phone for this.

I honestly don't see why people are so upset about not being able to upgrade to WP8. I used to have an iPhone 3G, and when iOS 4 came out, it only supported a limited feature set of iOS 4, not to mention making my phone absolutely unusable!

Let's recap the progression of iOS and WP.
    iPhone 3G with iOS 2 : First gen WPs with WP 7
    - : First gen WPs upgraded to WP 7 NoDo
    iPhone 3GS released, 3G upgrated to iOS 3 : Second gen phones released, first gen upgraded to WP 7.5
    iPhone 4 released, 3GS upgraded and 3G partially upgraded to iOS4 : Third gen WPs with WP8, first and second gen upgraded to 7.8 (partial WP8)

I'd much rather see Microsoft holding off on features that are not meant to run on my phone so that the user experience stays at a high level.
  5. Jos

Jos TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 2,042   +62 Staff Member

I have to admit Windows Phone 8 is looking really good. I love how in two days (with the Surface and WP8) Microsoft has shown the industry that it's possible to innovate and do things differently, as opposed to being lazy and producing poor copies of Apple's products.

I hope their smartphone platform finally gains some traction.
  6. psycros

psycros TechSpot Booster Posts: 670   +202

A bad copy of iOS still looks far better than Metro.
  7. TekGun

TekGun TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 156   +11

I'm fairly happy with only getting 7.8 on my current phone it's a great OS anyway. I'll be due an upgrade in 2013 so I'll just grab a win phone 8 then.
  8. this just makes me sad. I just got a 7.5 in march and was following the windows 8 update for quite a while. then I find out that now its not gonna be applicable to the 7.5 phones? what kind of crap is that microsoft?
  9. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 709   +28

Got an HD7 here. Contract runs out in November, just in time to upgrade if I want. I will give 7.8 a go for a bit and see if the camera app/video on the win8 phones can beat the iphone 4s when I come to purchase my new one. Only thing with going back to iPhone for me is that the screen size can't compete - I am used to a 4.3inch phone nowadays. Love the mini tablet feel of it.

By the way, am I the only person thinking phones will become a major (even worse than now) target for thieves if you can wave them at barscanners and pay for stuff? Sounds highly dodgy to me.
  10. TekGun

Never really thought about that, maybe it requires a pin or something put in first, I'm only guessing though.
  11. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TechSpot Guru Posts: 802   +87

Thieves will be stealing hands when your NFC chip is in your wrist. Personally, I'll be putting my NFC in the grip of my gun and will hump the receiver to pay.

12. mosu

mosu TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 296

USB 3.0 support? I'd really love a device with mSATA and a couple of SDXC microSD cards and good wireless connectivity besides GSM.Also I'm expecting Nokia maps by Navteq to have a better coverage of my country.I know I'm talking hardware, but support is what makes it working.
  13. If Metro is so good, how come almost no one is excited for Windows 8 on the PC? How come MS has hardly gained market share in the smartphone space? When Android was just new on the scene, the pace with which it was gaining market share was astronomical.

Metro is a failure so far. It looks kiddish, difficult to see anything. It's like a kaleidoscope in front of you with all these colors.
  14. TekGun

Aww is it confusing? nevermind try a Vtech.
  15. "If Metro is so good, how come almost no one is excited for Windows 8 on the PC? How come MS has hardly gained market share in the smartphone space? When Android was just new on the scene, the pace with which it was gaining market share was astronomical."

Im glad you can comfortably speak for everyone when saying "no one is excited to see Windows 8 on the PC." Ignorance is bliss I guess. Many people do not like change and Windows 8 is a HUGE change to how every computing is done. Its being forced upon them and they are naturally pushing back. Seems to happen with every new release when some feature people liked gets changed. Adapt and move on. Period.

MS hasnt moved as fast in the market place compared to Android. You are correct in saying that. However, what other options were available when Android hit at its low price point when competeing with the iPhone? Anything worth mentioning? Probably not. It was "comparable" to an iPhone and a much lower price so people who wanted a smart phone picked it up. Anything else you want answered or you want to troll alittle more?
  16. I believe windows phones have a higher market
    share than the iPhone in China.
    Windows and iPhone have superior software/
    hardware integration.
    I hope there is some kind of breakthrough in
    battery technology by it's release date, because
    nobody, Apple included, will be using 2 or 4 cores
    with 4G LTE engaged for more than 3 hours unless
    the battery is exchangable, double it's current
    size or the fabrication of CPU's etc is 22nm or less.
    The inclusion of micro SD cards is a bonus in terms
    of expandable memory.(up to 64GB on the latest items)
    Many ISP's are limiting data download to 2GB a month
    to promote their own 'cloud'.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------the smartphone is plugged into a power source
    for most of the day.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.