Microsoft developing Office suite for iPad

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft is developing a version of their Office suite for use on Apple’s iPad that could rival Cupertino’s own productivity apps. Applications like Word, Excel and PowerPoint could sell for as low as $10 each, according to sources that spoke with The Daily.

Microsoft already has multiple offerings in Apple’s App Store including Bing, MSN Onit and MSN OnPoint but Office would almost certainly become their highest grossing app to date. It’s no secret that Microsoft is hard at work on developing Windows 8 and tablets to run it, but there’s also no denying that the iPad currently dominates the tablet landscape. With so many iPads in consumer’s hands and even more people using Office, we can only wonder why Microsoft hasn’t released an Office suite for iOS sooner.

Shortly after the iPad was announced in January 2010, Microsoft senior product manager Mike Tedesco said the company was looking at the possibility of bringing Office to the iPad. Yet just a few months later, Microsoft executive Stephen Elop claimed Redmond had no plans to bring Office to the tablet.

In hindsight, both Microsoft and Apple could have benefitted greatly from having the Office suite available at the iPad’s launch. Microsoft would have likely made a boatload of cash and the iPad would have earned more credibility with enterprise users. Instead, Apple developed iPad versions of their iWorks programs to fill the void and we are still waiting on Office from Microsoft.

Permalink to story.

I have the apple version (pages and keynote) but I would switch to word if it it had speech recondition. I don't know what pages does not.

I'm really looking forward to the having MS Office on the iPad. I found that using Apple's Pages, Numbers, and Keynote was not workable, since it doesn't support syncing with my windows desktop. Apple's iCloud only supports syncing with MS Outlook on a Windows platform, but for some reason Apple doesn't support syncing other files on the Windows platform (unlike other cloud services).

If Microsoft provides MS Suite on the iPad with true cross-platform compatability with seamless sync and Apple does not, then it will be Apple's loss.

Wonder why they are making an App and not just a gateway to office 365 apps. Or are they saving that for WIndows 8.

Back