Microsoft explains Windows 8's improved power efficiency

By Matthew
Feb 7, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Expanding on previous blog posts about Windows 8's "power hygiene," Microsoft has shared new details about how its latest operating system will improve battery life on mobile devices. In addition…

Read the whole story
  2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,267   +215

Wonder how it would run on something like a P4 2.4Ghz with a gig of RAM...
  3. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,728   +286

so this + trinity APUs= uber long battery life?
  4. nickblame

nickblame Newcomer, in training Posts: 41

yes great stuff.
  5. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,487   +73

Wasn't the goal to get into more 64-bit OS instead of a 32-bit World. Windows 9 was suppose to be 128-bit OS. Then we have all these Quad core 8GB, 16GB, 32GB and higher. The need for more and more and the OS needs to keep up with it!
  6. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,267   +215

tipstir - but then smartphones and tablets happened. Now phones/tablets are working more like desktops and desktops are working more like phones/tablets.

How are we going to have a 128bit OS without 128bit processors. It was 4 years between the release of the Athlon 64 and the first real consumer 64bit OS. Then it was 2 more years before a lot of people switched (Win 7 64). So I'd say its probably going to be 4-5 years after 128bit processors before we see a 128 bit desktop OS.
  7. xExekut3x

xExekut3x Newcomer, in training

Windows 8 more power efficient? HaHaHa!

With Windows 7, just using my desktop and browsing the web my UPS was around 16% load, and while playing a video game it was around 28% load.

Windows 8, while I type this message is at 18% load, and when I play a game, it's around 34% load!

More power efficient? The numbers don't lie, but apparently Microsoft and this author do.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.