Microsoft faces antitrust probe from Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

It seems Microsoft just can’t catch a break in foreign territories. Besides having to deal with the European Commission, the company is now facing a probe from Russia’s state anti-monopoly body, which claims Microsoft's restrictions in the supply of Windows XP constitutes anti-competitive behavior. The agency apparently has a problem with Redmond trying to transition customers to Vista, at a time when demand for XP remains strong, and said it would issue a preliminary ruling on the case before the end of next month.

Microsoft has commented on the situation, saying they haven't received any sort of official query from Russia yet. The company does have a vested interest in getting people to switch, for support reasons at least, but can one actually blame them for that? The operating system is almost eight years old, and with the release of Windows 7 later this year, a big fine accompanied by an order to increase XP shipments to Russia is definitely not something they need right now.

The suit bears no resemblance to past antitrust claims against the company for abusing its dominant position in the market, so the possible outcome here remains unclear. What seems clear, though, is that the company is having a hard time making friends largely because of Vista.

Permalink to story.

Not to be racist, but is there a single legitimate copy of Windows running in Russia?

Is pirating your OS considered an anti-trust activity, or does Russia just want some money like the EU?

Hahaha, I said the same exact thing right after I read your comment. Next thing you know, China will be saying the same thing!

It seems Microsoft just can’t catch a break in foreign territories. Besides having to deal with the European Commission, the company is now facing a probe from Russia’s state anti-monopoly body, which claims Microsoft\'s restrictions in the supply of Windows XP constitutes anti-competitive behavior.

The way I see it, the only thing M$ can do in this situation, is try and pay off the Russian Mob. They do control the government don't they?

I understand there's an old lady in St. Petersburg who's looking for Windows ME. Maybe they can start a new case with that one.

I think it would be MORE just and more effective to fine the vendors, who write on their new gadget packing under "system requirements": MS Windows XP or higher. Period. As though MS Windows was the ONLY OS in the whole wide world, or Linux device drivers was an extremely complicated thing to write.
But they aren't serious about the real monopoly thing. They only want some money, as usual.

@captaincranky: No. Mob IS the government !
C'mon, who is mobbing who;-)?
Don't you forget it, that Russia is a bridge between the West and the East. In the West they create antitrust laws; in the East they "just" make them pay, when they want them. The thing, though, remains the same, does it not.
But if it is REALLY about antitrust measures, I would recommend prosecuting hardware vendors, who don't supply Linux drivers. Prosecute them for supporting the Redmond monster's efforts to win the market! But nobody does, neither in the East, nor in the West... This is unfair.

Maybe I'm tiring of governments using MS as a cash cow, maybe I'm cynical, but this IS about people trying to get some of MS' cash reserves, isn't it?

This is a pathetic move to make money, obviously. Isn't that what people/companies are doing now days? Sue to make your retirement? It's ridiculous that a company/government could sue another company for not producing/supporting a past product anymore. It's in MS's right to discontinue products, especially those that are a decade old, to pursue newer ventures and upgraded avenues. This is almost sickening... no, it is.

I don't care how much you dislike M$... this is just wrong.

If we should be judging from the "RIGHT vs WRONG" position, then the decision should entirely depend on what the (MS) EULA says, should it not?
Does the EULA promise everlasting support for the product? No. Then, does the buyer voluntarily agree the EULA? Yes.
On the other hand, if a government doesn't like the EULA for the given product, can it just decide to close the local market for such product? Absolutely. And the Russian gov "accepts" the MS EULA by NOT closing the market to it... What is it, then?

Let's not forget it, that our world is "civilized" only in our dreams!
So the Redmond monster says:"Well, well, I don't like at all how they handle it in Russia; but hey, THEY ARE USING MY PRODUCT anyway!!! Could I, perhaps, get some money payed for my intellectual property, eh? Could I, perhaps, have MORE money from these savages? It seems worth the while...".

And the Russian gov says:"We actually don't know how to handle things in normal and legal ways; it just never happened THAT way in our country. What shall we do??? Well, at least we know, how to make people PAY! It is our DUTY, then, to do the best we know!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back