Microsoft: Google is a hard habit to break

Emil

Staff

Microsoft says Google is a bad habit, and it's hard for people to break it in order to try alternatives, such as the company's search engine, Bing. "It's a hard thing. Habits die hard," Yusuf Mehdi, Microsoft's Senior Vice President of Online Audience Business, said at the Web 2.0 Summit in San Francisco, according to PC World.

Mehdi is referring to users' tendency to use Google for online searches without a second thought. It's almost second nature to them. Many people even head to Google as their first webpage when they're testing to see if they have an Internet connection.

That's what Microsoft is up against, despite all the money it has invested in Bing, which launched over a year ago. Bing has gained share since then, but it is still nowhere near Google. Microsoft has been running advertising campaigns, both online and offline. Awareness is not, however, enough to break people's routine.

Google says Bing is its biggest competitor: bigger than either Facebook or Apple. Furthermore, the search giant has retaliated and significantly improved its services in the last year, including Instant results and Instant Previews. Even if you never plan on using Bing, you have to thank Microsoft for stepping up the competition in the search space, essentially making Web search better for everyone.

Permalink to story.

Google is a verb now! How do you overcome that? Besides Bing just sounds sissy. If someone said "Did you Bing it?" it makes me think of a parent asking their child if they used the restroom.

It is even harder to break the Windows habit when you have a convicted criminal monopoly thwarting off any attempt to use other OS's like Mac or Linux.

It is even harder to break the Windows habit when you have a convicted criminal monopoly thwarting off any attempt to use other OS's like Mac or Linux.

Bing looks pretty, but that's about it. I routinely find more links and information using Google search than I do Bing.

I agree with taea00 and TomSEA.

1) At work, we all say "google It" its simple, polite and ALWAYS gets the answer in the end, rarely do you google something to get no answer or at least a clue.

2) Bing Simply doesn't come back the right results, sometimes you can google an error code and get back a microsoft page about it, in Bing you can sometimes get completely random sites.

Its ironic considering Microsoft own Bing!

I haven't had any usage or result issues with Bing, I must not know how to break the search engine as well as others. Either way I still primarily use Google regardless.

Habits are hard to break. And there's no need to break a good habit.

microsoft felt that facebook and google were getting too much attention lately and decided to make their voices heard, although they didn't really had anything worthwhile to say.

If Google's a habit why would you want to break it? it's brilliant. Alot of people say 'the best thing since sliced bread' instead I say 'The best thing since Google' haha =P

Thinly disguised Microsoft fan boy site. Nothing to see here. Move along people.

I have been a fan of MicroSoft for years; from Windows 3.1 all the way to the most recent Windows 7... even though I did not like Vista I was hopefull that MicroSoft would come out with a much better OS quickly. What I liked about MicroSoft was that they unified an indistry and help pull together some standards... then I woke up.

In 2010 - I worked with MicroSoft on several projects and how they blantantly overlooked serious defects stating they were "By Design" even though no design document supported their statements and the user impact was great, they promised resolution of these items after a LOT of push back and when those changes were implimented they stated that they only promised to impliment changes that they didn't promise to what.

Honestly; I was surprised how unconcerned or caring either the development staff or their QE departments were that we worked with... it was their way or no way.

My positive view of MSFT has changed, and now I am thinking about buying my first Mac ever.

Good job MSFT - you managed to alienate someone who has used your products for 20 years, I've owned every one of your OS releases, purchased a number of games, and owned Two XBox and two XBox 360s... and now I am considering switching to the PS3 as well as Sony's future systems. I will never buy a Windows phone and I certainly won't own your stock.

You have more then a relations issue, you have a quality and a perspective issue.

Many people even head to Google as their first webpage when they're testing to see if they have an Internet connection.
lol, you catch me
instead of gong to the web page im pinging google.de
old habits die hard...

He is right about searching services, being first in market is very important but on the other hand what about defeatism in mail services ? Microsoft must think about their internet services and quality!

Hold on a sec then Microsoft, i suppose i could try and break my 'Bad habit'...................................

Nah, didn't like Bing at all..Oh well back to Google it is then. :)

This is just an attempt to bring Bing into the conversation and/or and excuse why Bing has done as well as Google. I actually use Bing as my primary search and Google has my secondary search. Depending upon the specific search either one may have better results.

This is just an attempt to bring Bing into the conversation and/or and excuse why Bing has NOT done as well as Google. I actually use Bing as my primary search and Google has my secondary search. Depending upon the specific search either one may have better results.

Google is pretty much the default search engine in most of my web browsers. If you want another search engine, you pretty much have to click the down arrow to select another search engine. Most people I know don't bother to do that at all.

Back