Microsoft has "no plan" to release DirectX 11.1 for Windows 7

Rick

Staff

According to a reply from an engineer on Microsoft's Developer Network forum, DirectX 11.1 will be available exclusively for flavors of Windows 8 only. There are apparently no plans to release 11.1 for Windows 7 or Vista. "DirectX 11.1 is part of Windows 8, just like DirectX 11 was part of Windows 7. DirectX 11 was made available for Vista .... but at this point there is no plan for DirectX 11.1 to be made available on Windows 7", the post reads.

Update (11/14): A slight change of plans may be in the works as Neowin reports that some DirectX 11.1 features have been quietly included on the "Platform Update for Windows 7 Service Pack 1" that is part of this week's IE10 preview release, but is limited to WDDM 1.1 drivers on Windows 7.

Although this information comes from Microsoft employee David Moth, it's important to note that Microsoft itself has not provided an official statement on the matter. Having "no plan" doesn't necessarily ensure it won't happen either -- but so far, it doesn't sound good for Windows 7 users.

While Microsoft has often neglected older Windows operating systems when it comes to the latest versions of DirectX, omitting 11.1 from Windows 7 may have caught developers off guard. Microsoft launched Windows 7 with full DX11 support, eventually adding even Vista to the list. Considering this latest DirectX version is incremental -- 11.1 as opposed to 12 -- dropping support for both Vista and 7 feels like an maneuver powered by planned obsolescence more so than absolute necessity.

DirectX 11.1 is poised to make a significant number of changes to the graphics API, but most of the improvements appear to be performance enhancing tweaks. RockPaperShotgun does note one unique feature that DX11.1 brings to the table though: native support for stereoscopy (read: 3D glasses support). This means the small community of gamers willing to don 3D glasses may be doing so in the future without relying on proprietary technologies from GPU makers. Of course, those gamers will need Windows 8 and titles which support the new DX-based 3D standard.

Will the absence of DX11.1 for Windows 7 force droves of users to Windows 8? Most likely not. However, for some gamers, it'll be one more item to consider when it comes time to upgrade.

Permalink to story.

Of course there are no plans to release Direct 11.1 for Windows 7 for the same reason they are no plans to release Service Pack 2 for Windows 7. A lame attempt at actually giving people an incentive to upgrade to Windows 8 since they obviously feel there isn't enough already. Which would be accurate in my opinion.

And "for" these same reasons, I have no plans to ever purchase the train wreck commonly known as Windows 8. Looking forward, way forward, to Windows 9. Hopefully, they get their head on straight by that time.

Hell, most games out there are still running off of DX9. There's only a handful that use DX11. Why would I worry about 11.1 which apparently only enhances 3D viewing (which I don't do) and implements a few performance tweaks?

I'll wait for 100% of the gaming companies to start using DX11 before I start worrying whether I need 11.1.

Wow, I'm having complete deja vu here... It's Windows XP and DX10 for Vista only all over again. Except this time, Microsoft hasn't even bothered to let Windows 7 mature before trying to force obsolescence on it. I do remember the good old days of heavy-handed pressure to upgrade from XP to Vista, and how Microsoft made sure to release some "DX10 only" titles in an attempt to push more gamers into the move... Amazing how hard that backfired, and how long DX9 stayed as the de facto standard. And now, here we are again, with the MS greed trying to push the world onto a new version of Windows that most don't feel they want or need... I guess history really is cyclical, isn't it?

Well I'm announcing that I have "no plan" to buy Windows 8. See what I did there? I made the most obvious response.

And it's true.

Of course there are no plans to release Direct 11.1 for Windows 7 for the same reason they are no plans to release Service Pack 2 for Windows 7. A lame attempt at actually giving people an incentive to upgrade to Windows 8 since they obviously feel there isn't enough already. Which would be accurate in my opinion.

And "for" these same reasons, I have no plans to ever purchase the train wreck commonly known as Windows 8. Looking forward, way forward, to Windows 9. Hopefully, they get their head on straight by that time.

I'm just going to take a guess here, but if its the Metro layout everyone hates about WIndows 8. Why does everyone assume it wont be in Windows 9? I do recall that MS is changing majority of their product line to suit the metro interface.

...and how long DX9 stayed as the de facto standard.
I hope you are remembering that current consoles do not support anything higher than DX9. That is the big reason as to why it's still the most used version of DX.

Lol.
first, the haters are not buying/using windows 8 because of the "fugly metro".
now, they won't be buying/using windows 8 because dx 11.1 is not released for windows 7.

tomsea got it right.
...most games...are still running...DX9...
...only a handful...use DX11...
...why...worry about 11.1 which apparently only enhances 3D viewing (which MOST don't do) and implements a few performance tweaks?

...wait for 100% of the gaming companies to start using DX11 before...start worrying THE need FOR 11.1.

vista was never adapted not because of the backlash (dx10 titles only) but because it was not mature enough at that time.
7 improved on vista hence a more solid OS.

I used xp because I liked it. upgraded to sp1, sp2, sp3.
I used vista because I like it.
I used 7 because I like it.

I am using 8 because I like it..and it still runs my favorite game: ms-pacman and pacman (via dosbox)

I hope you are remembering that current consoles do not support anything higher than DX9. That is the big reason as to why it's still the most used version of DX.

Oh yes, that's definitely the primary reason why it's so common. But it amused me a bit how hard Microsoft tried to push that DX10 technology and say it was the future, then released a few DX10 titles (wasn't one of the HALO games DX10?) and tried to convince anyone who wanted to game on the PC that they just *HAD* to upgrade... All while the majority of Windows users were still on XP, and Microsoft's own Xbox couldn't handle DX10... But hey, facts shouldn't get in the way of you dropping your money into their coffers, right? Heh

Hell, most games out there are still running off of DX9. There's only a handful that use DX11. Why would I worry about 11.1 which apparently only enhances 3D viewing (which I don't do) and implements a few performance tweaks?

I'll wait for 100% of the gaming companies to start using DX11 before I start worrying whether I need 11.1.

I'm not sure that 71+ of the most popular games along with it being the direction of the industry qualifies as "only a handful"

"Wow, I'm having complete deja vu here... It's Windows XP and DX10 for Vista only all over again"

Maybe there will be another smashing success version of the "Alky project" from Falling Leaf.....or not

Good grief people! A Win 8 upgrade is $14-freaking-99. You can't even buy a super-sized big-mac meal for that anymore (well maybe)...

I'm perfectly happy with the copy of Windows 7 I have been using for years. I see no reason to go out and buy a new copy of Windows 8 when it's practically the same OS with sort of UI-pack. I bet I could download a fake metro copy cat and turn 7 into 8 like magic.

My windows 8 boots in <10 sec on a ssd

Metro is superior to the start menu

The desktop appears when you click on the desktop icon or even iexplorer or office. Metro is not pervasive; it is actually slick. Smaller, faster, cheaper. What more can you ask for. A dinner and a movie for two will cost twice as much as windows 8.

My windows 8 boots in <10 sec on a ssd

Metro is superior to the start menu

The desktop appears when you click on the desktop icon or even iexplorer or office. Metro is not pervasive; it is actually slick. Smaller, faster, cheaper. What more can you ask for. A dinner and a movie for two will cost twice as much as windows 8.

Mine boots in 13 seconds on an SSD. I couldn't agree with you more. If I want the same feel as W7 I toggle to the desktop. My only beef with Metro is it's always full screen which is a bit much on a 30".

https://www.techspot.com/review/561-windows8-vs-windows7/page5.html

from techspot:
From a performance standpoint Windows 8 appears to offer a solid foundation from the get-go. Although there are only a few select areas where it is faster than Windows 7, we are pleased that it's able to match it everywhere else.
Looking beyond benchmarks, Windows 8 appears more polished than Windows 7, even if you plan to live on the desktop and aren't too fond of the Start screen, general usage is smoother and appears to be faster on Windows 8, which I found most noticeable on our somewhat underpowered Athlon II X4 system. If anything, it's a great start, now the Metro/Modern style will have to prove itself as a cross-platform OS that marries desktop, laptop and tablet PCs.

I'm just going to take a guess here, but if its the Metro layout everyone hates about Windows 8. Why does everyone assume it wont be in Windows 9? I do recall that MS is changing majority of their product line to suit the metro interface.

I keep asking that every time I hear someone blindly bash Windows 8 and those that like it as a way to indirectly tell themselves they made the right decision and not the world.

See, what they are afraid of is the change, really. There's nothing you can't do in Windows 8 you can in Windows 7. The Start Screen at first certainly feels as if you're just waking up and someone suddenly slaps you in the face. The change is inconsistent as it is abrupt, but it all disappears once you get it, which, on average is a day or two of usage.

The thing, however, is this: what people should be truly afraid of is that Microsoft believes, absolutely 100%, in Metro. What that means is that Windows 9,10,11, etc. will never ever be the same.

Now, I'm not one of those that say "Well, too bad, get used to it." No. I believe in the "right tool for the job." If Windows 8 isn't yours, then it isn't. But I will say this: if you want the benefits, better get accustomed, 'cause it sure as hell ain't coming back.

Or you could be one of those that still use XP, the tech world equivalent of a horrible fashion statement.

If only openGL equal to or better than DX... *nerd*

OpenGL is almost equal to DirectX.

The "almost" is not so much the API's fault, but the lack of support. Drivers and games are built, and optimized for DirectX. It will always be this way.

Gaming on Linux will never be a thing, not because Linux is not capable of becoming a viable gaming platform, but because partners like Nvidia and game publisher don't put effort into developing for a platform with 1% marketshare, especially when the other 90+% is DirectX ready.

(This is not counting, by the way, Xbox 360s--who to this day only use DirectX 10--of which there are more than Linux PCs and PS3s [who use OpenGL ES] combined.)

It's sad because the problem <I>is</I> easy to solve; it's just that the solution is hard to implement.

The author could have used only the first four words of that headline and it would've been totally accurate.

There's only one console that supports DX-anything. And, big suprise, it's Microsofts Xbox.

I'm waiting for the "Next" Steve Jobs and Bill Gates to start innovating again. Getting tired of Apples regurgitated products and Microsofts money grabs.
Just wait for Windows 9, when M$ will completely lock-down programs running on their OS (kinda like Apple does with iOS). They'll probably offer Windows 9 upgrades for free. At that point, they will be making money off every program you run on your computer.

Sooner or later, I may have no choice but to upgrade. Until then, I'm sticking with 7 (DX11 limited as it may be).

I'm just going to take a guess here, but if its the Metro layout everyone hates about WIndows 8. Why does everyone assume it wont be in Windows 9? I do recall that MS is changing majority of their product line to suit the metro interface.

Because people forget one thing, that there was a time when there was no 'start button' ....... most of the people from DOS era (at least ones I know) hardly bothered with start button when it came around in Win95. Probably because there are other ways to open/close apps which at least for me a lot faster than grabbing the mouse and double clicking on an icon. That is why even Metro isn't that much of an issue for me.

Back