Microsoft: IE9 will surge when it comes to Windows Update in late June

Emil

Staff

Internet Explorer 9 was released on March 15, 2011. Two weeks later, on March 29, 2011 (yesterday), Microsoft turned on Windows Update for the new version, but only for existing IE9 Beta and IE9 RC users. The software giant has now confirmed that IE9 will not be broadly rolled out on Windows Update until the end of June.

Mozilla recently released Firefox 4 and Google recently released Chrome 10. Both companies have update mechanisms in their browsers that are turned on automatically as part of the release of a new version.

Microsoft says it cannot do the same because it has hundreds of millions of business customers that rely on Internet Explorer and require an appropriate window of time to plan and test their deployments. At the same time, the company argues it has a responsibility, as the company behind the most popular browser, to ensure that IE9 is introduced in a timeline that allows website developers to make sure their website is compatible.

This is Microsoft's response to the recent news that Firefox 4 is already beating IE9 in market share, despite being released much later. In their respective first 24 hours, IE9 saw 2.35 million downloads and Firefox 4 saw 7.1 million downloads. Microsoft argues that every IE9 download is from a customer actively seeking out the latest version and downloading it, as opposed to getting it after an automatic update (Chrome) or in-product prompt (Firefox).

"The net of all this is that any comparison of browser share adoption at this point is premature at best, and misleading at worst," a Microsoft spokesperson said in a statement. "In a few months we’ll be better placed to look at the share of the latest browser versions and get a sense for relative progress and adoption."

Permalink to story.

Cry more Microsoft, cry more.

Releasing IE9 through Windows Update, does not seem like a very fair way to measure the actual adoption of IE9, mainly because, you know, 94% of the computer world is Windows....

Alternatively, out of those 7.1 million of Firefox, how many millions actually went and downloaded Firefox? Mozilla stated that about 1 million of these were actually volunteers, I imagine that at least 2-3 millions actually sought the download (that's 3-4 million there), and the rest were through the prompted update. Either way you look at it, FF4 is a great browser, and people are liking it; my buddy moved to Chrome a year ago, said he would never go back to FF, but after using FF4 he has it as its primary browser (though he still has Chrome as second).

Every time Microsoft releases a new browser, to most people it will just be the best version of the worst browser of the pack.

If you didn't get the memo MS, IE has to have <i>that</i> killer feature that will make everybody go back to it. Chrome had the simplicity and also the speed (though not anymore). Until IE10 or IE11 bring something new to the table, its reputation (and progressively its market share) will just keep on shrinking.

I find it funny how MS need to "forcefully" inject this software onto PC's through their operating system to get people to use it.

I know for a fact lots of people will allow the "update" onto their computer because they think "oh my windows is not up to date I better press the install updates button"

Also not everyone knows where the button to stop annoying you to install optional updates is. This is not a win microsoft, your surge will just futher emphasize the failure of iexplorer.

The above arguements confuse me. Chrome and Mozilla gave you a prompt for the update and windows IE9 did not. So Microsoft is right about their competition making exagerated claims of winning the browser wars. Toms hardware has stated that IE9 is the fastest browser using the least amount of resources.

You may be anti Microsoft but don't skew the data in your favor; It makes you sound like Apple.

The above arguements confuse me. Chrome and Mozilla gave you a prompt for the update and windows IE9 did not. So Microsoft is right about their competition making exagerated claims of winning the browser wars. Toms hardware has stated that IE9 is the fastest browser using the least amount of resources.

You may be anti Microsoft but don't skew the data in your favor; It makes you sound like Apple.

Read the part I mention that releasing IE9 wouldn't be a clear way of determining its actual adoption, because 94% of the computer world is Windows. Not to mention that Microsoft is also counting businesses/enterprises as adopters, a field neither FF nor Chrome (or any other browser for that matter) has an advantage on.

Also, you do know IE9 still has IE8's LCIE process isolation, right? Having, say, 15 tabs open eats much more resources than, say, Firefox and Opera combined. Still better than Chrome's multi-process architecture though, which is such a CPU hog.

And do NOT go according to what reviews say; truth is, the performance of software, in this case browsers, will ALWAYS vary on different hardware. Yes it is good for research and optimization purposes, but don't judge until you try it on your system.

IE9 runs great on OS X, Linux, XP and my iPhone and Android tablet!

Not. IE9 = irrelevant. At least Staples and Best Buy win-nubes will have a better IE browser to work with.

Regardless your preference on browsers the main point of the article remains true. Given the install base of Windows 7 market share for IE 9 will definitely go up when it is released through autoupdate.

Firefox 4 is not yet a prompted update, all updates have been manually initiated by the user.

A major update notification isn't due to be sent out to Firefox 3.6.x for several weeks longer, once various other companies (mainly Norton and McAfee) get their act together and make addons compatible:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Planning/2011-03-30#Schedule_.26_Progress_on_Upcoming_Releases

So Microsoft are wrong, Firefox 4 vs IE9 downloads is in fact a valid comparison at this point.

Whoaman said:
IE9 runs great on OS X, Linux, XP and my iPhone and Android tablet!

Not. IE9 = irrelevant. At least Staples and Best Buy win-nubes will have a better IE browser to work with.

Gotta admire your persistence.

You don't come here for the hunting?

maybe ie browser series share went down because windows update is no longer done using ie7/8/9 for windows vista/7...

windows vista/7 have their own windows update manager...

only windows xp/2000/98 use ie6 browser (or previous ie versions) to download updates from windows update servers...

or the fact that google chrome releases more versions than any other browsers...maybe the google chrome browser share is bloated and the accurate number should be done by calculating its "apparent market share divided by its number of released versions" like 1 billion downloads divided by 12 (or more)...

zecias said:
lawfer said:
Chrome had the simplicity and also the speed (though not anymore).
really? i still feel like chrome is faster than FF4.

Well, like I said, software performance will vary from hardware to hardware. On my rig, both IE9 and Firefox are noticeably faster than Chrome.

"to ensure that IE9 is introduced in a timeline that allows website developers to make sure their website is compatible"

There is soo much wrong with that statement it is not even funny. Ummm how about you make a browser that is fully compatible with web standards. This way developers can use said standards to make their sites and be browser neutral.

this is great. i hope the IE9 is included in the approved update and then i can enjoy IE9 in computers where i don't have admin privileges, such as college.

Guest said:
Firefox 4 is not yet a prompted update, all updates have been manually initiated by the user.

A major update notification isn't due to be sent out to Firefox 3.6.x for several weeks longer, once various other companies (mainly Norton and McAfee) get their act together and make addons compatible:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Planning/2011-03-30#Schedule_.26_Progress_on_Upcoming_Releases

So Microsoft are wrong, Firefox 4 vs IE9 downloads is in fact a valid comparison at this point.

maybe not a prompted update, but they do let you know that you aren't running the latest version every time you open the browser, coupled with a convenient little button to take you to the download page.

@Guest
FF4 B12 never gave me an option to download the final version, in fact I didn't noticed until the next day that it has been downloaded when it asked for persmission to install update. A minor issue though.

But despite FF4 being a formidable upgrade from the past, I use it along side IE9 and frankly there isn't any speed difference, and resource usage wise IE9 seems a little lighter. I dont think there is any 'significant' difference between browser performance, it is simply a question of personal 'preference'.

@Gallifrey2
Your argument about 'web standards' being complied with is valid. However, the fact is, 'Corportate' customers behave differently from ordinary users, and they do tend to take 'years' to migrate their infrastructure from one platform to the next, hence, I can see MS being pretty much being right about it.

are they even allowed to make it an important update?
why do you ask?, microsoft sells windows, they cant just force ie9 as a update to everyone, there is a reason why there are competition rules atleast in EU, where MS had to make a Browser Bailout

makes no sense eh?, how do you like to be forced IE9 as a update even when you use Firefox 4

am pretty sure ms will violate european competition laws if they do this

I would like use the ie9 but I can’t go away from maxhton for just one very useful feature for tab browsing, the gestures.

why do you ask?, microsoft sells windows, they cant just force ie9 as a update to everyone, there is a reason why there are competition rules atleast in EU, where MS had to make a Browser Bailout

Which in my view is one stupid thing which EU did; when everyone else is 'Free' to 'thrust' their own browser at every user, why target MS? It would have been more fairer if they enforce the same rule on Apple (and Google when it come to chrome) with regard to competig browsers. %age of Market Share aside, the argument that 'a user must have a choice' needs to be followed in its total spirit.

makes no sense eh?, how do you like to be forced IE9 as a update even when you use Firefox 4

First of all, you're not forced to upgrade to IE9 through autoupdate and given your obvious bias one would think you'd know how to do that. Secondly, you are able to simply remove Internet Explorer from your system if you wish. Yet another option would be to turn off autoupdate altogether or even better, why not just convert to Apple or Linux?

as of nw...am happy to use chrome.. as i feel it much faster nd better
than any other browsers available tday

Back