TechSpot

Microsoft in advanced talks to purchase 'Minecraft' creator Mojang for more than $2 billion

By Shawn Knight
Sep 10, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft is reportedly close to purchasing Minecraft creator Mojang. The Redmond-based company has been holding advanced discussions with founder Markus "Notch" Persson and company with an offer of more than $2 billion on the table according to a person with...

Read more

2. aMerkuri

aMerkuri TS Enthusiast Posts: 39   +12

Money always wins.

3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,550   +2,894

If this were the 90's, I would understand this obsession with Minecraft. Maybe even if the textures were halfway realistic. The days of commodore is over, lets move on from Qbert landscape.

4. Its the popularity of this kind of crap that makes me wonder how on earth the government can say education is getting harder, when clearly the younger generation are morons. They pass exams with ease nowadays, and yet they spend most their time punching wood for gratification....

5. I hope this doesn't happen as Minecraft is special being an independent company. Yes, two billion is extremely tempting but I don't trust Microsoft with the Minecraft environment.

6. For those that don't get Minecraft, just accept the fact that many people enjoy it. If you don't fine, move along and do your thing and let others do there thing. I find that Minecraft is about fun and creativity not super fancy graphics.

ikesmasher likes this.
  7. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,389   +329

If someone waved $2billion in my face for a company with 2-3 real games I would definitely take it!

8. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,149   +1,424

This is an abomination...

9. Sniped_Ash

Sniped_Ash TS Maniac Posts: 253   +108

Realistic graphics =/= a good game. Have you even been paying attention to the last few years of gaming?

Matt12345170 likes this.
  10. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,181   +528

I feel like Microsoft wants it to just ruin it. The game is made in Java, what's Microsoft going to do switch it to activeX!?

11. rub900

rub900 TS Member Posts: 76   +6

Well it was fun while it lasted.

12. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,550   +2,894

It does for me which is why I despise Win8. Besides I didn't state I was only interested in realistic graphics. I said I might enjoy the squares, if the textures where more realistic. That's hardly stating the graphics need to be realistic.

13. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,541   +2,337

I appreciate your use of irony: lamenting education while pretending to completely miss the point of the product in question. Nicely executed!

14. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,550   +852

no
    no
    nonono
    nononononon
    no
    no

NO.

15. NicktheWVAHick

NicktheWVAHick TS Enthusiast Posts: 69   +43

Stupid is as stupid does....

16. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

I doubt that there's a whole lot left in the property to recoup 2 billion. Microsoft is buying the tail of the animal to eat. The rest of it has been served.

17. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,319   +709

Minecraft will be the UI for Windows 9.

Darkshadoe likes this.
  18. Nero7

Nero7 TS Booster Posts: 166   +48

I'd take the money and sell minecraft to them. Then make a minecraft clone with half of the money.
    profit!

distantreality likes this.
  19. TheDreams

TheDreams TS Addict Posts: 609   +61

As a minecraft server owner, I can forsee a lot of changes that I probably will not be too happy about, especially with donations and minecraft hosting.

20. lipe123

lipe123 TS Evangelist Posts: 658   +174

Wait I'm not clear on anything here?

How do you buy a person, I thought thats illegal.

What are they getting him for anyways? Hes a java programmer that hasn't done anything worth anything since minecraft came out and gave that off to another team anyways and has nothing to do with it.

21. Maybe Microsoft just wants to know what the java code looks like so they can learn how to code.

22. Just hire the right people and invent a blockbuster game. Oh right, big corporations only hire mindless zombie college grads and h1-b visa foreigners.

23. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Definitely.

That is one of the appeals of the game I guess haha.

24. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,550   +852

mojang isnt a person..........................................

25. Darkshadoe

Darkshadoe TS Guru Posts: 571   +112

I would not doubt there would be some kind of "No Compete" clause in that contract.