Microsoft issues invites for 'Windows 9' event on September 30th

Shawn Knight

Staff member

microsoft windows san francisco operating system press event threshold windows 9

Microsoft has issued invitations to members of the press to attend a media event on September 30 in San Francisco. The tagline for the event reads, “Join us to hear about what’s next for Windows and the enterprise” which pretty much guarantees that we’ll get out first official glimpse of Windows 9 “Threshold.”

Joe Belfiore and Terry Myerson will be tasked with leading the discussion at the event, we’re told, which will focus on enterprise and power users.

microsoft windows san francisco operating system press event threshold windows 9

The rumor mill once again comes through as the September 30 date was pegged back in August. Sources also indicated at the time that they expect Microsoft to release a technical preview of Windows 9 either at the conclusion of the press conference or shortly thereafter.

Windows 9 has been one of the worst kept tech secrets of 2014 as we’ve enjoyed a steady stream of leaks for nearly a year now. Just a few days ago, a pair of German tech sites published close to two dozen screenshots from the technical preview of Windows 9.

The screens showed a number of incoming features but perhaps the biggest of all is the return of the Start Menu. Microsoft omitted it in Windows 8, a decision that the Redmond-based company probably regretted almost immediately as the backlash from end-users was heard loud and clear.

Most expect Microsoft to ship the final build of Windows 9 sometime next year.

Permalink to story.

So you aren't interested but you read the article... Ah ha...
Have you ever gone shopping and was interested in everything? I doubt that very much! The point in shopping is to look for something you might be interested in. I will continue shopping these articles looking for details that will interest me.

I'll make this short. I'm not interested!
Neither am I really but we are going to have to move from Windows 7 one day.

Says who? And for what reason? Using Windows 7 in a home environment, I feel like there is no reason to ever upgrade the operating system. I know everybody likes to beat the "improved security" drum over and over and over...as one of the "Oh My God!!! I must upgrade to Windows 8 NOW to be safe!!!" theories. I think Microsoft had a meeting where they gave that bullet point to their employees after they realized what a catastrophe Windows 8 was right after launch.

"Okay peeps, here's the deal. The sales numbers for Windows 8 are abysmal to put it mildly. People aren't being compelled to upgrade to Windows 8 out of want. So, were moving to plan B. We will compel them to upgrade out of fear. Hit all the forums you can...hard and fast. Yes, the same way we hit our loyal customer market with Windows 8. Hard and fast people. Move, Move Move!!!".

Phhhfffttttt. Backup data that you cannot afford to lose, and you should be okay, as a home consumer anyway.

Honestly, if I WAS going to upgrade to Windows 8/9 I would install one of the 3rd party Start Menu replacements after seeing the Frankenstein monster that they have brought back to life in Windows 9. At least they "appear" to have soft corners from what I can see in the screenshots. All those damn square corners are way too hard on the eyes. Should have left it in it's grave for Gods sake.

I'll make this short. I'm not interested!
Neither am I really but we are going to have to move from Windows 7 one day.

Says who? And for what reason? Using Windows 7 in a home environment, I feel like there is no reason to ever upgrade the operating system. I know everybody likes to beat the "improved security" drum over and over and over...as one of the "Oh My God!!! I must upgrade to Windows 8 NOW to be safe!!!" theories. I think Microsoft had a meeting where they gave that bullet point to their employees after they realized what a catastrophe Windows 8 was right after launch.

"Okay peeps, here's the deal. The sales numbers for Windows 8 are abysmal to put it mildly. People aren't being compelled to upgrade to Windows 8 out of want. So, were moving to plan B. We will compel them to upgrade out of fear. Hit all the forums you can...hard and fast. Yes, the same way we hit our loyal customer market with Windows 8. Hard and fast people. Move, Move Move!!!".

Phhhfffttttt. Backup data that you cannot afford to lose, and you should be okay, as a home consumer anyway.

Honestly, if I WAS going to upgrade to Windows 8/9 I would install one of the 3rd party Start Menu replacements after seeing the Frankenstein monster that they have brought back to life in Windows 9. At least they "appear" to have soft corners from what I can see in the screenshots. All those damn square corners are way too hard on the eyes. Should have left it in it's grave for Gods sake.

You guys using Win 7 are right in not upgrading. Win 8 and presumably Win 9 are just cash grabs. I've said before, The only reason I am using Win 8.whatever is because I got Win 8 thru my college. I have really no need for all that metro crap and use the desktop 100% of the time.

Microsoft wanted a change, but they forget one thing. You can't add metro over Windows 7 and then call it Windows 8. I use Windows 8.1 on 3 quad core systems. For some odd reason they work better with Windows 8.1 than then did with Windows Vista 64-bit and Windows 7 64-bit. But with Windows 8.1 64-bit no issues with the drivers.

So now Windows 9 still not 128-bit so back to more of the same 32/64-bit OS with Windows 8.1 with some old Windows 7 features embedded this time around. Frankly corporate USA companies are just now rolling out Windows 7 and ditching Windows XP.

Frankly I am not pushing Windows 8.1 on my other PCs since Metro UI pushes things I don't really like is ads and tracking. Bad enough your cell phone needs to know your location as well as advertiser too.
Microsoft wants you to use live communications features so you log in with that then whatever you do get saved on Onedrive cloud system. Then there is Microsoft Store. Pushing CC info in my face every time I download a free app.

So how is Windows 9 going to be like more of the same nonsense OS with Metro. What they could have done is just make Windows 8.1 like Windows 7 just update it with new graphics. But all no they didn't want to do that. They wanted to complete with Apple and Android to give the user a choice of dual UI.

Well that didn't play out so well.

I've got three windows 8 licences. I won't pay for a Windows 9, but with an honest sounding apology, some kind of make it right gift and free "upgrade" to 9, I'd try it.

128-bit? Really?
I hadn't realized that x86 supported that yet.

/sarcasm

Win 7 is obsolete. Mainstream support ends in January 2015, and all the focus will be on Win 8/9+. 7 is old and tired, move on already. It doesn't support USB 3 natively either which is a pain in the arse and its slower than 8.1. Forget about DX 12 and onwards too. Old farts moaning they won't change and there is no difference - this is why XP STILL exists.

So now Windows 9 still not 128-bit so back to more of the same 32/64-bit OS with Windows 8.1 with some old Windows 7 features embedded this time around. Frankly corporate USA companies are just now rolling out Windows 7 and ditching Windows XP.
As the guest above said, how would you run a 128bit OS on 64bit processors? Hardware deployment always comes before software support. Or in other words, until Intel decides to release 128bit processors, then there will be no 128bit OS. Considering how long it took for 64bit to go mainstream, and its still not all the way there yet, its not going to happen anytime soon, especially since its not even on the tech world radar yet.

Guest said:

Win 7 is obsolete. Mainstream support ends in January 2015

never mind Windows 7 supported till 2020 itc fact

Sorry again, if Microsoft dont want support 85% of Windows users that will tell everything from company

Windows 9 is shaping to be a big deal for Microsoft. It looks like it will be to Windows 8/8.1 what Windows 7 was to Vista: the improved version we should have gotten.

With that said I'm interested to see how this new OS shapes up and hope that it will be discounted for those of us who purchased Windows 8. After all, Microsoft is going to need a serious carrot to get people to migrate to Windows 9 after fudging Windows 8.

Personal opinion, I've had no Issues with windows 8 in the 2 years I have been using it. Added classic shell, start menu issues resolved. From a performance standpoint I've felt as though this is the smoothest running windows to date.

Personal opinion, I've had no Issues with windows 8 in the 2 years I have been using it.
You know wearing ugly under clothing, probably works just fine as well. That doesn't mean you will want to wear them, even if 99% of the time you have them covered over.

And yes, I do agree it is a personal opinion. It is a personal opinion that will keep me from using Windows 8 and looks as though including Windows 9. I'm also tempted to say the majority that don't understand my stand point, never used Windows 7.

Windows 9 will be the inevitable yin/yang correction MS always makes after a failed OS release. I think it will be great and will bring many of MS's angry, prodigal children back into the fold.

Windows 9 will be the inevitable yin/yang correction MS always makes after a failed OS release. I think it will be great and will bring many of MS's angry, prodigal children back into the fold.

All Windows 9 appears to be is a crappy start menu that has been biatch slapped with the Metro 'ugly stick' and virtual desktops. I could of added that functionality with 3rd party apps without the help of Microsoft. So what exactly is there to look forward to? I am confused.

Sorry, I don't think this prodigal child is quite ready to come back home just yet.

Back