Microsoft: Just kidding, Zune is alive and well... for now

By Matthew
Oct 5, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft has recanted its recent announcement about the demise of its Zune media players. On Monday, the device was pulled off the company's Zune.net web store and a support pageā€¦

Read the whole story
  2. venomblade

venomblade Newcomer, in training Posts: 69

They may "support" it but Zune HD people have like a total update 30 apps, not even updated monthly. It might as well be dead lol.
  3. tehbanz

tehbanz TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 183   +10

i've got an old zune fatty and love it to death, the software is pretty wicked too, and the "Zone total pass" package was awesome while i was subscribed, i discovered so much new music. sad to see a nice product go, my girlfriend has gone through 2 ipods in the span of my zune.
  4. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +90

I think it's neither. I think Microsoft did it on purpose as way to know how the market would react if Zune were indeed discontinued.

I mean, one could also argue it was an accident, but updating the website saying they would still support the hardware even though they would stop production? To update such thing you have to go though a lot of hoops. I doubt somebody just hit an edit button accidentally, edited it accidentally, and also happened to hit a submit button accidentally. I mean seriously, updating a website's content is not the same as updating a forum post. They either think we're stupid, or maybe this is all poor management and coordination.

I say all of this is just a marketing play. Then again these are nothing but conjectures...
  5. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,043   +84 Staff Member

Amen.
  6. Xero07

Xero07 Newcomer, in training Posts: 93

Thankfully Zunes are immortal. I'll probably replace with a phone eventually, maybe WP7 if a good phone comes out on verizon.
  7. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd Newcomer, in training Posts: 555

Surely by now they are spending more money to keep the Zune alive, then they are making from profits from Zune and Zune related sales

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.