Microsoft, LG team up to promote 3D gaming on Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Microsoft and LG have signed a strategic partnership that will promote 3D gaming on the Xbox 360. The deal is undoubtedly inspired in part by Sony's push to deliver 3D games and other entertainment. The company recently released a firmware update for the PlayStation 3 in preparation for 3D media, and games supporting the technology are expected to arrive as early as next month – not to mention Sony's upcoming 3D Bravia HDTVs.

Microsoft's arrangement with LG will see Xbox 360s and games sold alongside existing LG 3D TVs in consumer bundles. The first of such offerings will combine the Xbox 360 and LX5900 3DTV. Pocket Lint reports that the special packages will initially be limited to Korea, LG's home, but they should eventually spread to other regions as the demand rises for 3D-ready goods. More details should be available as we approach E3 which runs from June 15 to June 17.

Permalink to story.

I personally think that this 3D gaming is going to be horribly obnoxious and will fall on its face. I don't want to have to put on special glasses to play my games. I know for a fact I will lose them, its hard enough to find my controller half of the time. Also 3D like that gives me a headache, I hate 3D movies. I hope this stuff doesn't last...

I don't think it's fable? But your right, does look so, I also agree with headaches with wearing the glasses etc...

They really are pushing it this time round though!
When will this stupid fad stop trying to ram useless tech like this down our throats?

I'm quite happy with my pc screen thanks and I certainly don't want to buy another tv which will cost more and give me headaches and force me to wear glasses every time I switch it on!

The more I say it the more rediculous it sounds specially considering it's actually true and this pointless and useless piece of tech really is.

I dont know if its Fable, can't really tell as its blurry (presumably from the 3D)

But as both other comments have stated, they do give headaches, i remember sat in cinema watching Avatar and getting one from wearing glasses.

And the glasses i know for definately i wont be buying anything 3D until they come up with an accessory-less design.

3d is stupid. the glasses are uncomfortable, etc. headaches, etc.

why cant they take the lense they would put on the glasses, and slap it over the TV?

3D sucks if you already wear glasses. Unless they are those huge 3D glasses you wear at the Imax, and even those aren't that comfortable. Comfort is going to be an issue. If the quality of the 3D glasses are not improved or replaced with something better people are going to get tired of what will be called a fad. And of course the prices of the 3D tvs and other expensive hardware is going to deter many consumers. Lack of buyers equals lack of sales. We'll see what happens in 5 years....

An Xbox 360 arcade game recently had 3D modes in it - it had at least 3 different 3D modes depending on how new your TV was. If this is the case what is so exciting about Sony adding the ability in firmware - is it better than the 360 implementation?

On a side note, why when I go to the comments section of a story and have to sign in to reply, does it have to redirect back to the main page instead of presenting me with a "Post new comment" box for the story I was browsing at the time? It is annoying - can it be "fixed" please? There are many forums that allow you to hit reply then sign in then actually add your reply as opposed to this site where you read the comments, hit sign in, enter details, hit confirm, get sent back to the main site, find the story, select comments, scroll down, hit reply and then add your comment.

@yukka:I haven't read too much about how the XBox 3D will work, but I'm assuming it's just for games (b/c of the lack of Bluray). With Sony's firmware update it enables 3d games AND movies, so I would say Sony has the advantage. Not only that Sony has it's own line of 3D TVs, which I'm sure will be optimized to work with other Sony products (PS3).

@burty117: you should read up on some of the TVs coming out. With the Sony Bravia's you can switch between 2D and 3D with a button click. So you only have to wear glasses when you feel like some 3D.

@ikesmasher: No you can not just slap a screen over the TV. It would be cool and will probably happen someday...see Nintendo 3DS... Current 3D tech. works because each one of your eyes is receiving a slightly different picture. The glasses filter out which image each eye will see.

@Everybody: Yes the cheap glasses you get at the theater are uncomfortable. They are free what can you expect. I'm sure once the whole 3D TV thing gets going someone will think to make glasses that are comfortable. It's like saying I'm not going to wear sunglasses when it's bright outside b/c the free pair I got with my happy meal was uncomfortable.

Am I the only one who thinks 3D on my home TV would be awesome? Not to mention 3D games?

"Am I the only one who thinks 3D on my home TV would be awesome? Not to mention 3D games?"
.........................................................................................................................................................

No, Natefalk! You're not the only one. I sure as hell cant wait!!!!!

3D is going to fail. Too expensive, not enough media, poor quality, yadda, yadda, yadda.

But I had to laugh at that photo - do you think those two guys could POSSIBLY look any more geeky??

It sucks, I've watched 3D before and it really messed with my head. I got a headache, and then my vision got blurred and I went down with a migraine soon after. I'll be sticking to normal screens for now lol.

TomSEA said:
3D is going to fail. Too expensive, not enough media, poor quality, yadda, yadda, yadda.
But I had to laugh at that photo - do you think those two guys could POSSIBLY look any more geeky??

Yeah, that Photo is great. Looks like they are being forced to smile on behalf of LG and Microsoft, lol...

I wasn't really sold on the 3D TVs until I read up on the Bravia line that is coming out. They can switch between 2D and 3D with a click of the remote. And they can upscale 2D into 3D, so any TV signal or DVD signal can potentially be viewed in simulated 3D. If you are thinking about getting a TV anyway, why not spend a little extra and add 3D functionality. It still works as a regular HDTV when you want it to...

So TomSEA, yes they will initially be expensive (all new technology is) but in a year or 2 the price will come down just like LCD/Plasm TVs. I'm sure people had the same arguments when HDTV first came out.

natefalk said:

@burty117: you should read up on some of the TVs coming out. With the Sony Bravia's you can switch between 2D and 3D with a button click. So you only have to wear glasses when you feel like some 3D.

but why should I buy a new tv for the 3d capability just to switch it off? I mean, is football in 3d really look better? Does avatar really look better in 3d? No, they don't as tom said, not enough media and the whole idea of current 3d tech is rubbish and just a way for sony and samsung to get some mony after a resession.

Maddness, just look in the past, when 3d first came out it was fad, the second time they tried to push it, it was still a fad and it's still a fad now! All that's different is the image is slightly crisper compared to the last time 3d tried to come out but still not as good as a decent HD standard screen. If you need evidence that companys bring out 3d when they're low on money I'm happy to provide links, :)

I think 3D is the way forward but not perhaps this current generation. One of the most annoying things about Avatar for me was that I kept trying to move my head to see behind stuff but the way the image is, you cannot do that. You are limited to what the director wants you to see and the director makes whatever he wants you to concentrate on focused while everything else blurs. Fine in 2D but in 3D I couldnt stop thinking that it would be really good if what I stared at stayed in focus and I made the decisions myself.

Not going to happen this generation. Maybe electrodes in the brain might help.. :)

@Tomsea:

3D is the future so get used to it bro. I think you're afraid of change? I cant understand why you seem to refuse or accept change...other than seeing it as companies wanting to dig holes in our pockets, they have been doing it since the earth came into being. If you dont like it (3D) then stick with 2D which however is also innovation. You had the same issue with HDTV... Is the SD set worn out yet? or you currently own a HDTV? lol..

I hope you will stop being grumpy and accept "CHANGE", despite 3D being a failure before now.
I cant wait to see what the future holds for 3D movies and games! Am excited

@Guest

3D isn't the future, it's nothing new its been around before and will always be. While it has improved greatly over time I don't see it being the next big thing like they are making it out to be. Consumers are finally adopting normal HDTVs and aren't just gonna jump up and buy brand new 3D capable HDTV's for a few grand. While I have no doubt it'll become a standard feature on all new models I highly doubt the average consumer is going to be watching 3D in everything besides a few niche stuff. Sports has the greatest potential imo with 3D besides the occasional movie. And personally for gaming I think it'll be fun for some stuff but I don't see it being the norm. More likely it'll be irritating on a lot of games and get you killed more often then you should.

@burty117 : I hope you have actually seen a 3DTV and your not just drawing off experience at the theater.

I agree with you that this is mainly a way for them to sell TVs, but they are doing this every year...last year was the whole 240MHz and LED TVs. TV manufacturers are always trying to one up the other guy regardless of what the economy looks like.

I would want to switch off 3D b/c it would only be good at certain times (watching movies). And you would want to shut it off if you didn't have enough glasses for everyone or if just wanted to watch "normal" 2D stuff. I agree with another post above, 3D will only work for certain games and movies.

Why don't 3d TV's come with the glass from the 3d glasses built over the tv screen or a clip on plastic cover lol that way i don't have to wear them!

I highly doubt we'll see 3D games on mainstream consoles anytime soon, especially at a reasonable price, unless they're going to run at normal TV resolution. The consoles can barely hit 60 FPS as it is, but 120 is required for 3D.

Even a PC would have to be pretty beefy to run most modern games at reasonable framerates in 3D.

The only way I would buy something 3D is when somebody invents a hologram.

hello ...

I totally agree with natefalk ;)

i remember there were articles about Xbox360 cannot really do 3D !!!

OK, can't wait for this to happen.

@ Guest (May 12-8:46) - 3D is already there with 3DS, SONY PS3 & PC equipped with the appropriate GFX card & it rocks ;)

I won't buy a 3D TV soon, will wait for better versions in like 1 year or more & yes i want to play games & watch Blu-rays in 3D ;) ...

cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back