TechSpot

Microsoft liberates 2 million PCs from malicious Citadel botnets

By David Tom
Jun 19, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Earlier this month, we were made aware that Microsoft’s Digital Crimes Unit successfully brought down over 1,000 of the estimated 1,400 malicious computer networks, commonly referred to as the Citadel botnets. However, a statement made by Richard Domingues Boscovich, the assistant...

Read more

2. An attempt forgood press just to dissolve the wake of the Xbox debacle? Microsoft is due for a good deed.

3. Coodu

Coodu TS Enthusiast Posts: 179

This is great news, $500 million, that's crazy stuff..

4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,111   +1,523

What about the people that create these botnets? I'm sick of reading stories like this where people are free to continue. I'm not stupid, I know these people can be tracked.

5. Coodu

Coodu TS Enthusiast Posts: 179

Well, one would hope that this at least brings them closer to the source, we can only hope anyway ;)

6. Track these down, nah there more interested in illegal file sharing and its probably the companies in question running an insurance scam anyways

7. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus TS Booster Posts: 183   +39

Umm..it is illegal file sharing. Just that it is financial and not videos...hope our protectors are just as interested.

8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,111   +1,523

They probably are, especially the ones prospering by turning a blind eye.

9. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,928   +569

So, now Microsoft is a liberator and not enslaver?

10. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 973   +99

Doubtful, most gamers will not care for this "good" deed anyway.

11. Now if they could liberate all the other people from the virus called Windows, we would be good.

12. hitech0101

hitech0101 TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +19

When will you be liberating us from win8 M$ ?

13. lipe123

lipe123 TS Guru Posts: 449   +81

This is hardly the first time MS has done this, if you looked at the articles over the past year I think its the 3rd time they helped take down a major botnet.

However the biggest issue here for me also is that while the software side of things are taken care of the creators of these net's need to be fined and imprisoned or forced into some kinda rehab program (or join the USA's PRISM program hahaa).

I think they need to get closer ties with interpol because generally local authorities can do nothing but beg the offending country's law enforcement to do something and the response I think would be "we have 1000's or murders/poverty/massive unemployment, don't care about your cybercrime issues"

14. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke TS Enthusiast Posts: 319   +83

Only allowed malware is the MS backdoor for providing info to PRISM etc. All others are verboten

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.