Microsoft licenses exFAT file system patents to RIM

By Shawn Knight
Sep 19, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Research in Motion has entered into an agreement with Microsoft that will allow them to use the software maker's Extended File Allocation Table (exFAT) file system on select BlackBerry devices. RIM joins a number of other electronics manufacturers that have...

Read more
  2. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TechSpot Guru Posts: 802   +87

Is the phone pictured charging... itself?! xD
  3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,060   +1,178

FAT16 max file size is 2GB. FAT32 max file size is 4GB.

I can't imagine a phone needing larger file sizes than 2GB/4GB for audio/video. Maybe I'm not looking at the bigger picture. I have always assumed the main reason for exFat was larger volumes with compatibility for legacy operating systems not larger file capabilities.
  4. Jesse

Jesse TechSpot Staff Posts: 368   +39

Unlimited power!
  5. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,086   +154

Transporting around HD movies... I use my phone as a replacement for a thumb drive nowadays. Also it can plug directly into a TV and be used as a portable movie player so even then, you can actually use the HD movies directly.
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  6. spydercanopus

Also recording HD video will allow near unlimited length recordings.
  7. doradhorror

doradhorror Newcomer, in training Posts: 36

I understand you don't know much about video files but bigger file sizes can support high bitrates and longer lengths for videos. A good 720p rip will be around 4-5 GB so you won't notice any compression artifacts.
  8. cliffordcooley

In other words you are not compressing the DVD video at all. You might as well leave the video as the original .VOB. I hate to burst your bubble but I do understand about different resolutions and how resolutions as well as bit rates effect file sizes. We are talking about phones with screens that are usually no bigger than 5 inches not big screen TV's. I'm sorry some of you think a phone should handle high resolution video. Personally, I wouldn't mind playing a few high resolution games from my phone instead of using my desktop, I just don't see that happening.

I did question the comment about file size being the reason for exFAT usage instead of volume size being the reason. If you did store large files, you wouldn't store many of them on a FAT32 volume. My question really wasn't as much about the use of exFAT as it was why the choice of exFAT over NTFS. The exFAT file system was developed long after Microsoft abandoned FAT32 for NTFS as an OS file system.
  9. spydercanopus

VOBs are broken into 1GB files. ExFAT wouldn't help with DVDs, but M2TS files would benefit.
  10. cliffordcooley

And when ripped can be merged into one VOB. Then re-sampled and compressed into a smaller size file depending on how much detail you are willing to part with. If you are not willing on loosing any detail, I would suggest the file stay as a VOB.

Lets fall back to the original comment, what is it that sets the barrier of only getting 5 times larger audio and video files with exFAT? The file size limit of exFAT is 16 EiB (4 Billion times FAT32 file limitation), EiB is allot more than 5 times larger than GiB so what is the limitation of exFAT usage for audio and video?
  11. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,011   +218

As stated here;
    Large capacity devices need compatibility for Microsoft, Apple & Linux systems for marketing reasons - -
    sometimes they actually get used on cross-platforms. Extremely useful
    to attach a camera or cellphone to ANY system and upload the contents.
  12. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,086   +154

We're talking better than DVD quality here. 720p @ 4-5GB with x264 codec looks a million dollars next to a raw DVD vob. SGS3 phone has a 720p screen natively too. You will see the difference even on a phone.

The NTFS security is a bit of a pain in the ***. If one machine attaches local administrator privileges to an NTFS formatted external device with no "Everyone" privileges then you throw that in another machine, how does it go if that admin account doesn't exist there? I've seen this happen. I had to throw a drive back in the original machine, open up the permissions then throw it back in the target.

I'd say they were just after a file system that was more portable minded. exFAT is just a better FAT32 without the burden of the security rubbish that NTFS has. Maybe the layout is more space/performance efficient as well? Just speculating there.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.