TechSpot

Microsoft loses U.S. Supreme Court patent case against i4i

By Jos
Jun 10, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft has lost its appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court in a long running legal battle against i4i, the small Canadian company that sued them claiming willful infringement of its…

Read the whole story

2. Zecias

Zecias TS Booster Posts: 202

lol M$ got owned

3. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TS Guru Posts: 692   +48

What exactly was removed from MS word?

4. Nchalada

Nchalada TS Rookie

XML tagging of some sort in saved documents, from what I understand of the article

5. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +99

A drop in the well, when compared to its real profits. I bet having to temporarily remove Office from its shelves (read online store) hit them harder!

6. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TS Enthusiast Posts: 385   +10

I wonder if they could lower the bar when fighting off patent trolls while keeping the standards high for actual tech companies. I vaguely recall seeing a recommendation that patents not applied *by the holder* in actual technology for a period of five years fall automatically into the public domain. That'd end trolling, seems to me, or at least make buying up idle patents on the chance someone will rediscover and apply the tech a much less attractive prospect to the parasites.

7. Badfinger

Badfinger TS Rookie Posts: 160

The world should just migrate to Open Office.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.