Microsoft makes changes to Windows Store in Release Preview

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft made Windows 8 Release Preview available for download last week, taking the opportunity to update the Windows Store at the same time. Redmond listened to user feedback from the Consumer Preview and implemented several changes as a result.

Partner director of program management Ted Dworkin authored a post on the MSDN blog that highlights some of the changes, many of which have to do with navigation. Microsoft has added a navigation bar to assist users in returning to the main home page of the store. The bar also includes a list of apps that have already been purchased, making it easier to load these apps on other computers and synching settings between them.

microsoft windows store windows 8

The new store additionally features better app management as it's now easier to view apps that are being downloaded and pause or cancel them with ease. You can also share information about apps with friends and family directly from any app listing page.

Aesthetics aside, users are now seeing desktop app listings in the store for the first time. Searching for apps will follow the same procedure as with Metro apps. Do note that these are simply listings – to download an app, you will need to follow the link to the developer’s download page. That process will remain between the customer and the developer outside of the Windows Store.

For developers, Microsoft has revised several policies designed to increase efficiency in addition to adding several new ones. Anyone interested in these policy changes or the full rundown of the Windows Store changes is invited to check out Microsoft’s blog post.

Permalink to story.

QUOTE:

"The addition of desktop apps is really great."

So is thefact they don't charge you for a web browser, oh oh also they let you use a mouse that is fantastic!

Personally, I don't dislike Metro having used it for months now, but I still believe that by simply adding 'Start' button to W8, MS will make the final product a more reasonable upgrade, whereby, allowing users to absorb changed UI at their own pace and make the transition. Ultimately, I think MS is spot on by seeking a common interface/development platform, just like when they integrated IE in the core OS many years ago (which everyone is following right now).

The Metro Start Screen is annoying. So is the giant Ribbon toolbar in Windows Explorer.

"I still believe that by simply adding 'Start' button to W8, MS will make the final product a more reasonable upgrade"

Anybody still using the start button are newbz. Are tyou, after 20yrs of the start button, a newb?
Is it so hard to adapt to hovering the corner for the start menu?\

Stick with windows 95 then

Hmm... I'm sticking with theory, that majority of people wanted Windows tablet only because they wanted desktop and access to classic windows apps. When you have iOS with dull icons and Android with widgets the only logical way for MS was to go with tiles, but unfortunately after first fascination you realize that it's just another snappy, but closed environment for content consumption only. Power user will newer go with that, so I don't understand why MS is sticking with metro on desktop and don't have an option for business and pro without touch friendly bloatware.

Taking things out of context in an epic way, but that is the beauty of Guest account any half-wit can easily become a troll.

20 years ago, if I'm not mistaken, was 1992. Back in 1992 there wasn't even a start button. You're either not old enough or clued up enough (or both) to make comments about "newbz". From my reckoning that was still Windows 3.1, and having used Windows since 3.0, I can categorically tell you that the start menu button was not around until 1995. Back then it was folders in boxes. I know because I hated using it but it was the only thing available to us at the time. So try again. Can you even navigate your way around DOS? I doubt it.
I wouldn't even contemplate going back to windows 3.0, or 95, 98, 2000, XP or Vista. Much the same I wouldn't contemplate ever using a Commodore 64, a Spectrum ZSX or a humble Atari games console. I wouldn't say no to going back to 7 if I had to, but I'm liking Windows 8 for the most part.

Back