Microsoft may also be interested in Skype

Emil

Staff

Rumor has it that Microsoft is in talks with Skype. The software giant is interested in either acquiring the Luxembourg-based company, partnering with, or at the very least investing in it.

Apparently we will find out more details very soon: corporate attorneys and other senior managers are said to be working late this weekend. In fact, an announcement may be made later this week, according to sources cited by GigaOm, which also gave three reasons as to why Microsoft would be ideal for a Skype partnership:

• Skype would give Microsoft a big boost in the hotly contested enterprise collaboration market places, thanks to Skype's voice, video and sharing capabilities. It would be particularly useful for competing against Cisco and Google, two of its main rivals in the collaboration business.
  • It would give them a must-have application/service that can help with the adoption of the future versions of Windows Mobile operating system.
  • It would give Microsoft an outside chance of working with carriers, many of them looking to partner with Skype as they start to transition to LTE-based networks.

Unsurprisingly, neither Skype nor Microsoft are commenting on the rumor and speculation. This happened earlier this week as well: neither Facebook nor Google wanted to comment either.

That's right: Microsoft is the third company to show interest in either partnering with Skype or buying the company. Out of the three, I would argue that Facebook makes the most sense.

Both Microsoft and Google currently have VoIP technology as well as both software and web services that provide it. Facebook does not, but it does have 600 million users on its website that would probably be very interested in making voice and video calls with their friends.

Seeing as we don't know what will happen yet, this is a perfect time to ask our readers what they would like to see. Would you prefer that Skype partners with one of the aforementioned tech giants, or gets bought out? If it has to be an acquisition, which company would you want to see buy Skype?

Permalink to story.

I would like to see google make the purchase, integrating the skype tech and profiles into their android platform. The last thing I want to see is Windows "playing" with skype, changing features, or trying to integrate it into the windows OS as part of their "cloud." I think one of the reasons Facebook is so popular is that it has a niche, wich does not really involve much face to face interaction. I think they are best off staying in that niche, at least for now.

Guest said:
I would like to see google make the purchase, integrating the skype tech and profiles into their android platform. The last thing I want to see is Windows "playing" with skype, changing features, or trying to integrate it into the windows OS as part of their "cloud." I think one of the reasons Facebook is so popular is that it has a niche, wich does not really involve much face to face interaction. I think they are best off staying in that niche, at least for now.
But Google already has this: https://www.techspot.com/news/43546-google-announces-voice-video-chat-for-android-23.html

"But Google already has this: [link]"

I have used that, I have used Qik, and I have used Skype's current android app. Skype currently has more features available, but does not offer video chat on mobile. I believe it would increase Skype's market value to move further into the mobile sphere. A google partnership would greatly facilitate this end.

I think that as time goes on, the technology behind Skype will be much less relevant than the brand name. Ultimately you're going to be able to video chat/voice chat with just about anybody in almost any app. Its just a matter of having both speakers on the same system.

Phone companies as we think of them today are probably going to be completely replaced by data companies, and we'll be paying by the bit, either through fees, or through advertising. Skype will just be one of those internet names synonymous with calling, like Googling is used to describe searching for things. But who knows?

own skype: Microsoft by a huge margin. They have the stability to make it rock. Google have way too many products and none seem to survive. FB have no sense of privacy and would share everything with everyone,

"The last thing I want to see is Windows "playing" with skype, changing features, or trying to integrate it into the windows OS as part of their "cloud."

'And you say this because you have the user's best interests at heart? What's wrong with Microsoft licensing Skype technology? I would love if Skype API's were built into windows. You would then be able to create Skype compatible clients and just tap the API to log unto Skype's network. You could build Skype API and integrate it into Microsoft Outlook/Office for example. Instead of having to launch a separate client, be able to click a contact or object and instantly access the other person real-time with minimal fuss. if anything, Microsoft won't buy Skype but license it's technology for it's desktop/server OS and phoneOS.

"I think that as time goes on, the technology behind Skype will be much less relevant than the brand name. Ultimately you're going to be able to video chat/voice chat with just about anybody in almost any app. Its just a matter of having both speakers on the same system. "

Indeed. The problem is everyone is on a different platform, and there are no efforts to cross unify video chat.

Facebook I believe would be the best platform to outright "purchase" Skype. But most likely all of these people may just license the technology in attempt to be able to be communicate with each others platform/client.

Back