TechSpot

Microsoft, Nokia finally sign definitive agreement for Windows Phone

By Emil
Apr 21, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft and Nokia today announced the signing of a definitive agreement regarding their global mobile ecosystem partnership. Two months ago, Nokia announced that it was choosing Microsoft's Windows Phone as its primary smartphone platform but that the two companies still need to work out the details of the deal. A lot has happened since then, but apparently the agreement was completed ahead of schedule, according to the duo.

Read the whole story

2. They made a bad choice.

3. I've always hated Nokia, I am looking forward to its demise.

4. yRaz

yRaz TS Addict Posts: 958   +114

Neither of the two guests above have seen a windows phone. It certainly will be interesting to see how this plays out!

5. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TS Guru Posts: 593   +47

The two guests made a bad choice... in showing their ignorance. Just keep hoppin' on the bash wagon.

6. Great news, I guess. Though I could really care less. The thing that gets me is everyone calling their products an ecosystem. None of the things mentioned in the article are required to sustain human life.

7. emmzo

emmzo TS Enthusiast Posts: 67

Microsoft stroke gold with this deal, Nokia makes true quality phones (not hybrid gizmos like we know who) and has a huge market so there`s a big chance win7 will go mainstream fast.

8. T77

T77 TS Enthusiast Posts: 315

"Microsoft will provide Bing search services across the Nokia device portfolio as well as contributing strength in productivity, advertising, gaming, social media and a variety of other services."
    "Microsoft will receive a running royalty from Nokia for the Windows Phone platform, starting when the first Nokia products incorporating Windows Phone ship."

In short microsoft will receive loyalty for just laying around and doing nothing worthwhile,while nokia would be toiling away at making new phones...Well they sure found some alternative for Bing as it wasn't really making its cut in the desktop space.

"In recognition of the unique nature of Nokia's agreement with Microsoft and the contributions that Nokia is providing, Nokia will receive payments measured in the billions of dollars."

Yeah sure and half of those "billions of dollars" will go into paying royalties to microsoft.Well at the end of the day its just business...:p

9. TheQuestian

TheQuestian TS Rookie

Huh? Microsoft is providing the software, and Nokia is providing the hardware. It sounds like a perfectly reasonable agreement, to me . . . ? After all, Symbian (try asking the average college student what Symbian is) was going the way of the dodo, and Nokia is probably grateful for a way to distinguish themselves from the hordes of other devices rolling out with large screens and Android OSes.

Sure, M$ is the devil, fine. But when they do something interesting that may drive competition and maybe even be cool, at least let it play out, I say.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.