TechSpot

Microsoft, Nokia pledge up to $24 million for mobile app developers

By Jos
Mar 26, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Nokia and Microsoft have announced that they will invest up to €18 million ($24 million) in a new mobile application development program over the next three years, a move aimed…

Read the whole story

2. mosu

mosu TS Enthusiast Posts: 309   +9

Cheap shot, they expect billions and invest just 24 mill..

3. KG363

KG363 TS Enthusiast Posts: 524   +9

I love windows phone, but I don't feel that the problem is a lack of apps, the problem is that they are overpriced. I don't want to pay $2.99 or $4.99 for an app that is free or $.99 on iOS.

4. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

Too bad Microsoft has to resort to the "amount of apps" tactic to appeal to undecided consumers. I guess it makes sense from a business standpoint to tell people you have 70,000 apps to make them more interested in investing in a platform that seems healthy. But sadly, the reality is that out of those 70,000 apps, perhaps half of those are duplicates.

That leaves us with approximately 35,000 apps. Out of these, maybe 2,000 at most are real useful apps. There rest is just crappy, useless ****. It's like Google Play's little brother.

Although it kind of makes sense. They are doing this to prepare a sort of mindshare foundation until Windows Phone 8 phones arrive, as Apollo will support C++ development (essentially bringing the platform up to par with iOS and Android as far as code porting feasibility).

5. yRaz

yRaz TS Addict Posts: 966   +116

I honestly have to say there is a severe lack of apps on WP7. however, I didn't but WP7 for the apps. I bought it because it was stable, efficient and uniform across manufacturers. 24M is a lot of money if you consider an app might take ~$5k(possibly less) to develop. They COULD Invest more but I think they'd start to see diminishing returns with the more they invest. They don't want to flood the market with apps either. people can't possible find the good ones if they have 20,000 crap apps bloating up the market place. There are tons of great apps hidden deep within zune marketplace that are almost impossible to find.

6. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,060   +76

It could be interesting if someone do a 'research' on each market place/app store to see how much duplicate apps / junk apps it contains, should give a good perspective of quality of each store.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.