Microsoft now blocks Windows 7 and 8.1 updates on Kaby Lake, Ryzen systems

Scorpus

Staff member

Despite Microsoft, Intel and AMD all stating that current generation processor platforms, namely Intel Kaby Lake and AMD Ryzen, are not supported on operating systems earlier than Windows 10, these latest parts do actually work on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.

It seems clear, though, that Microsoft doesn't want these processors to work on their older operating systems. So they've decided to roll out a processor check in Windows Update on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, preventing users from download updates if their system contains a Kaby Lake or Ryzen CPU.

The error message that users have been receiving on these systems reads: "Your PC uses a processor that isn't supported on this version of Windows".

This update lock will no doubt annoy users who are running the latest hardware, but for whatever reason would rather not upgrade to Windows 10. Microsoft is still supporting Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 through security patches and, in the case of Windows 8.1, some feature and bugfix updates, so those with the latest hardware will not be able to receive these updates.

Microsoft's support page clarifies the exact processor families that aren't support in older versions of Windows:

• Intel seventh (7th)-generation "Intel Core" processor or a later generation
  • AMD seventh (7th)-generation (“Bristol Ridge") processor or a later generation
  • Qualcomm “8996" processor or a later generation

Microsoft's recommended fix is, of course, to upgrade your system to Windows 10, even if it's working perfectly on an older OS. There does not appear to be any technical reason for the restriction, other than Microsoft's statement that these processors aren't supported.

Permalink to story.

Is windows 10 a bad OS? Not at all. Would I still rather use the OS I've been using for the last 8 years? YES!

I think windows 7 was the last OS to really bring significant improvements in an OS. I remember going from 3.1 to 95 and 95 to 98. Then I went from 98 to XP and from XP I went to Vista then shortly returning to XP. Then windows 7 came out. Every OS before it brought with it significant improvements and features that made use more than happy to learn a new OS. Windows 10 seems to switch things up and hide things for reasons I can't even come up with. It doesn't give you access to parts of the OS and I feel like I have less control over Windows 10 than I did Windows 7. Espectially with Secure Boot.

I freaking hate using secure boot. Everything I want to run linux mint I have to disable it in my bios then it shows up in my boot options. Afterwards, when I'm done, I have to go back into the bios and turn Secure Boot back on to load Windows 10. However, it doesn't stop there. For me, everytime I do this, I have to load up the install CD and run repair before I can load windows 10 again.

There is a fix for linux mint to work with secure boot. When I use that fix for secure boot windows 10 wont show up in the boot menu at all.

Then comes the settings. Is nothing intuitive about accessing settings? I was made when I had to go from the control panel on XP to the one in W7. However, I was more than happy to learn because I loved W7 and it didn't hide features, it just moved them around. Now in W10 it not only hides many feature entirely, but refuses to give you control of certain aspects of the OS.

Here is an example of a recent problem I had with W10 that drove me F*CKING NUTS. My wireless card failed and I had to install a new one, no biggy, right? Not at all. First a little back story. I had been having T3 and T4 timeouts on my comcast connection for about a year where I'd just get disconnected at random. I called support and they'd send a tech out who would just replace the router and leave. I then had to manually change all my router settings back. This happened about once a month and my router allowed me to save all settings in a spread sheet that I could simply open on the new router and, bam, good to go. For those of you who don't know, T3 and T4 timeouts are most often a network problem on the ISP's end. Either a bad connection, bad cable or a failing repeater. One day they decided to replace a new model router with the old one and my settings couldn't be natively ported over. Eitherway, the tech that replaced it put a password on it and set up my network with slightly different settings, names and passwords, but it worked so I wasn't TOO angry. Problem still persisted until we threatened to move to verizon unless they fixed the problem, this went on for well over a year mind you. They send a tech out and replace ALL our cable lines. It turns out the the coaxial connection at the street was rusty, which would knock our internet phone and TV out every time the wind blowed.

Fast forward to new wireless card and windows 10. I did not have the wireless password for the wifi, he set it up on all the computers in the house for me and I was very thankful for that. I didn't see this as a problem as I was always able to go into network settings and saved networks to check the password, this isn't possible on windows 10 unless you are already connected to the network, here comes the problem. In windows 10, each saved network is linked to the wireless card. I plugged in my wireless card and couldn't connect. This being 11 at night and everyone sleeping I couldn't exactly go into the other rooms and check the passwords on the other computers. This is just another stupid road block the was completely unnessisary. I ended up booting into linux minute, then I realized I never set up the new network in linux so I didn't have the password.

In W7 this never would have been a problem because once you are logged into your account you have access to all this information. It also doesn't link saved networks to wireless cards for your "security". W10 tries to hold your hand in every possible way and it just makes it difficult for any user who doesn't want to just browse facebook and watch netflix.

BTW, I just realized how much I wrote and I'm not going to bother editing it or checking my spelling so please excuse any typeos

/rant

ETA till crack? Probably a week. But the real fallout will be when those new chips start collecting dust. Hardly anyone needs a new CPU..GPUs will be the major upgrade item for the next year at least. Intel and AMD will inevitably push Microsoft to support their newest chips in Windows 7, and Microsoft will almost certainly cave.

ETA till crack? Probably a week. But the real fallout will be when those new chips start collecting dust. Hardly anyone needs a new CPU..GPUs will be the major upgrade item for the next year at least. Intel and AMD will inevitably push Microsoft to support their newest chips in Windows 7, and Microsoft will almost certainly cave.
You do know or realize that Intel and AMD agree to this. Hell Intel and MS were talking about this for the 6th gen. Love how everyone wants to balme MS for wverything when manufacturers either come up with most of this stuff or simply support it. MS isnt doing anything alone nor are they holding the software hostage, Intel and AMD agreed with it. So obviously they set it in motion, MS let everyone know this is how it is.

You do know or realize that Intel and AMD agree to this. Hell Intel and MS were talking about this for the 6th gen. Love how everyone wants to balme MS for wverything when manufacturers either come up with most of this stuff or simply support it. MS isnt doing anything alone nor are they holding the software hostage, Intel and AMD agreed with it. So obviously they set it in motion, MS let everyone know this is how it is.

Ha, yeah because AMD is so going to tell Microsoft to screw themselves.

Who would apply their updates anyway any more? They ruin the computer usually.

I personally don't enjoy having zero day exploits on my system. Not sure if you realize it or not, but updates actually do something.

They sure do... they also at times revert settings to pro-M$ settings that they have no business changing back. Sure security updates are good and are needed, but I have a feeling that there is that isn't the only thing their patches do at times.

Intel and AMD will inevitably push Microsoft to support their newest chips in Windows 7, and Microsoft will almost certainly cave.

And what evidence do you have to support this ridiculous theory? This has been known for a pretty long time already... and while Intel might have the muscle to force MS to do something, AMD certainly doesn't.

Since Intel and AMD have already agreed to this limitation, there is almost certainly not going to be support for Windows 7 (or 8) on the new CPUs going forward.

Now, we already have a thread with people whining about how this is such a shortsighted move by AMD (not sure if anyone complained about Intel) when it was announced that Ryzen wouldn't support old OSes...

Let's be clear here. The % of people who are upgrading the CPU on an existing PC is quite small. The % of THOSE people then choosing to not upgrade their OS is even smaller (and dumber). Virtually everyone who is purchasing a Ryzen CPU is purchasing a completely new computer - they have to buy a new motherboard anyways - and to not put Windows 10 inside would be just plain crazy.

To those people concerned about "those annoying ads", privacy settings, or just the slightly different UI.... I refer you to Google (or Techspot's own articles) which will allow you to pretty much customize any feature you desire...

Stop living in the past - like it or not, Windows 10 will be the OS of the future - so just give in, install the bloody thing, and live with it :)

Stop living in the past - like it or not, Windows 10 will be the OS of the future - so just give in, install the bloody thing, and live with it :)
I did, but that is not the point.

Having to intentionally program a Windows Update block, to out-date an OS with the use of new hardware is outrageous. This is a tactic that should be unlawful.

I am running 7 and never going to change that til a driver issue or game says otherwise and that may never happen. How many fps do ya need?

Is windows 10 a bad OS? Not at all. Would I still rather use the OS I've been using for the last 8 years? YES!

I think windows 7 was the last OS to really bring significant improvements in an OS. I remember going from 3.1 to 95 and 95 to 98. Then I went from 98 to XP and from XP I went to Vista then shortly returning to XP. Then windows 7 came out. Every OS before it brought with it significant improvements and features that made use more than happy to learn a new OS. Windows 10 seems to switch things up and hide things for reasons I can't even come up with. It doesn't give you access to parts of the OS and I feel like I have less control over Windows 10 than I did Windows 7. Espectially with Secure Boot.

I freaking hate using secure boot. Everything I want to run linux mint I have to disable it in my bios then it shows up in my boot options. Afterwards, when I'm done, I have to go back into the bios and turn Secure Boot back on to load Windows 10. However, it doesn't stop there. For me, everytime I do this, I have to load up the install CD and run repair before I can load windows 10 again.

There is a fix for linux mint to work with secure boot. When I use that fix for secure boot windows 10 wont show up in the boot menu at all.

Then comes the settings. Is nothing intuitive about accessing settings? I was made when I had to go from the control panel on XP to the one in W7. However, I was more than happy to learn because I loved W7 and it didn't hide features, it just moved them around. Now in W10 it not only hides many feature entirely, but refuses to give you control of certain aspects of the OS.

Here is an example of a recent problem I had with W10 that drove me F*CKING NUTS. My wireless card failed and I had to install a new one, no biggy, right? Not at all. First a little back story. I had been having T3 and T4 timeouts on my comcast connection for about a year where I'd just get disconnected at random. I called support and they'd send a tech out who would just replace the router and leave. I then had to manually change all my router settings back. This happened about once a month and my router allowed me to save all settings in a spread sheet that I could simply open on the new router and, bam, good to go. For those of you who don't know, T3 and T4 timeouts are most often a network problem on the ISP's end. Either a bad connection, bad cable or a failing repeater. One day they decided to replace a new model router with the old one and my settings couldn't be natively ported over. Eitherway, the tech that replaced it put a password on it and set up my network with slightly different settings, names and passwords, but it worked so I wasn't TOO angry. Problem still persisted until we threatened to move to verizon unless they fixed the problem, this went on for well over a year mind you. They send a tech out and replace ALL our cable lines. It turns out the the coaxial connection at the street was rusty, which would knock our internet phone and TV out every time the wind blowed.

Fast forward to new wireless card and windows 10. I did not have the wireless password for the wifi, he set it up on all the computers in the house for me and I was very thankful for that. I didn't see this as a problem as I was always able to go into network settings and saved networks to check the password, this isn't possible on windows 10 unless you are already connected to the network, here comes the problem. In windows 10, each saved network is linked to the wireless card. I plugged in my wireless card and couldn't connect. This being 11 at night and everyone sleeping I couldn't exactly go into the other rooms and check the passwords on the other computers. This is just another stupid road block the was completely unnessisary. I ended up booting into linux minute, then I realized I never set up the new network in linux so I didn't have the password.

In W7 this never would have been a problem because once you are logged into your account you have access to all this information. It also doesn't link saved networks to wireless cards for your "security". W10 tries to hold your hand in every possible way and it just makes it difficult for any user who doesn't want to just browse facebook and watch netflix.

BTW, I just realized how much I wrote and I'm not going to bother editing it or checking my spelling so please excuse any typeos

/rant

T L ; D R

Intel and AMD will inevitably push Microsoft to support their newest chips in Windows 7, and Microsoft will almost certainly cave.

And what evidence do you have to support this ridiculous theory? This has been known for a pretty long time already... and while Intel might have the muscle to force MS to do something, AMD certainly doesn't.

Since Intel and AMD have already agreed to this limitation, there is almost certainly not going to be support for Windows 7 (or 8) on the new CPUs going forward.

Now, we already have a thread with people whining about how this is such a shortsighted move by AMD (not sure if anyone complained about Intel) when it was announced that Ryzen wouldn't support old OSes...

Let's be clear here. The % of people who are upgrading the CPU on an existing PC is quite small. The % of THOSE people then choosing to not upgrade their OS is even smaller (and dumber). Virtually everyone who is purchasing a Ryzen CPU is purchasing a completely new computer - they have to buy a new motherboard anyways - and to not put Windows 10 inside would be just plain crazy.

To those people concerned about "those annoying ads", privacy settings, or just the slightly different UI.... I refer you to Google (or Techspot's own articles) which will allow you to pretty much customize any feature you desire...

Windows 10 'The Service' to be more precise.

I did, but that is not the point.

Having to intentionally program a Windows Update block, to out-date an OS with the use of new hardware is outrageous. This is a tactic that should be unlawful.
I agree it's not exactly the "friendliest" methodology... however, it was very clearly stated that Ryzen and Kaby Lake do not support Windows 7/8... install at your own risk...

Remember, you can always download updates manually and install... for enterprise customers (who for some insane reason decide to run Windows 7 on new CPUs) that will most likely be how updates already get installed anyways.

T L ; D R
you can TL;DR all you want, but there is a lot in there that you can learn about networking on different OS's by reading that post. This is especially important if you use windows 10 and want to learn about future flaws you may have to deal with.

This reminds me of the one time I bought a Mac. A time came that I couldn't use new software unless I upgraded my OS to the latest one. It was irritating.

If the upgrade to windows 10 from windows 7/8x is still free, then why not... but since the upgrade now costs ~100$+, then most likely, previous OS users will become more vulnerable to security loopholes as they are now officially and forcefully left behind...

This is some mad logic here. It's crazy to not use Windows 10 just because "It's the future" and you should just give in. And if you don't "upgrade" you're dumb.

Reasonable.

I'm all for seeing Win 7 and 8.1 off into the Abyss. Win10 is great, but I've got no doubt it would be better if Microsoft could use all those resources and dedicate them solely to their 'latest' OS. Imagine having to support multiple OS's? If I was running that company I would be looking for any reason to send them to their graves, and concentrate on the 'now' and the 'future'. I really don't see why people have such a problem with this. I stopped using Windows 3.11 for Workgroups a LONG time ago. Never looked back. Get over it.

Back