Microsoft offers Office 365 to university students for $20/year

By Rick
Oct 19, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft has announced plans to offer unusually deep discounts to individuals eyeballing Office 365 University, its upcoming cloud-based productivity suite geared toward academic users. Students and professors alike will be able to snap up four-year subscriptions for just $79.99 --...

Read more
  2. Darkshadoe

Darkshadoe TechSpot Maniac Posts: 514   +95

Ballmer needs a little more hair and a little Charlie Chaplin mustache in that picture. What next Microsoft? Charge by the letter? Linux is looking better and better...
  3. treeski

treeski TechSpot Guru Posts: 867   +128

Wow. How is anything in this article something to criticize? This is a fantastic deal for students...
    ETF Soldier likes this.
  4. Panda218

Panda218 Newcomer, in training Posts: 95   +13

Neck beards are never happy with anything Microsoft releases...
  5. Darkshadoe

Neck beard huh? ...oh well...I've been called worse by better people.
    ETF Soldier likes this.
  6. Alvaro

Alvaro Newcomer, in training Posts: 41   +8

Linux, OpenOffice, Google Docs... I still wonder why people pay for Microsoft Office/Windows.
  7. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +90

Hahahaha
  8. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 807   +91

All the schools and universities I've visited have used 2003/2007. 2010 was required for the course I was taking and was also free to download for students lol
  9. I fail to see how this is a great deal for students. I bought office 2010 from MS for $80 from their student website and get to keep it forever.
  10. Timonius

Timonius TechSpot Booster Posts: 573   +31

LibreOffice.org <- 'nuff said
  11. supertech

supertech TechSpot Member Posts: 80   +9

Microsoft charges way to much for their software and bringing the prices down with the new Office365 products launching soon is a great idea to keep people on board. You can use open-source office products but the real business world uses & requires the Microsoft Suite of products such as World, Excel, Powerpoint, etc. and in it is hard to get around it.

We have had a number of customers try the free one only to come back screaming for Microsoft Office. At the end of the day, it is a superior product that the industry has made a standard.

At the end of the end, Microsoft is trying to focus on being a software company and they are dam good at that.

12. J_Gert

J_Gert Newcomer, in training

Well, maybe at some Universities they do not use Microsoft as much, but I know USF in Tampa subsidizes all Microsoft products and we receive the entire product suite for $15 including OS's (forever). The 20 GB of extra space on Skydrive is nice though, but I barely use the 7 GB they give me and I have all my reports since I was a freshman (Senior now).

This is a great deal if everyone was onboard as well. This also really helps the tablets in the future which will all majority be cloud based. It's a marketing scheme and people will buy it. The cool thing is if USF subsidizes this, $$ awesome.

-Go Bulls!
  13. bexwhitt

bexwhitt TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 153   +22

That's a seriously unfortunate picture
  14. baN893

baN893 TechSpot Member Posts: 82   +10

Google Docs does it all to a level I find satisfactory
  15. ETF Soldier

ETF Soldier TechSpot Booster Posts: 279   +39

It'd probably work out cheaper for them, considering Microsoft product a new office every 2-4 years
  16. Sphynx

Sphynx Newcomer, in training Posts: 35

I've been hearing this same old tune from Linux fanatics every single year since its inception.
  17. Darkshadoe

LOL .. I am a Linux fanatic now? I love how all you fanboys just can't take a little criticism. It makes me laugh.

Btw..I use all Microsoft products.
  18. avoidz

avoidz TechSpot Maniac Posts: 453   +53

That Ballmer photo doesn't exactly send a message of "trust" to users of Office 365.

19. Sphynx

Sphynx Newcomer, in training Posts: 35

First of all, I'm not a fanboy since I own both Microsoft and Linux products, though Linux seldom gets used. Secondly, I assumed you are a Linux fanatic because I've seen many posters that made similar comments in the last five years or so and all of them unabashedly admitted their love for Linux and scorn for its competition after calling them out. My apologies for calling you a fanatic, but this is the first time I've come across your comment and disputed my assertion.
  20. avoidz

avoidz TechSpot Maniac Posts: 453   +53

I still use Office 2003 for daily work. It does everything I need. Office 97 would do the same if I was inclined to install it (it still works on Windows 7 64). Of course I understand the financial needs to sell new versions every few years.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.