TechSpot

Microsoft offers students a free Xbox 360 with Windows 7 PC purchase

By Emil
May 19, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft is offering a free Xbox 360 console to students who buy a Windows 7 PC for over $700. The deal will be available in the US between May 23,…

Read the whole story

2. matrix86

matrix86 TS Maniac Posts: 804   +9

Hmmmm...I still have access to my old college email...and I can make the money back by turning around and selling the computer on ebay or craigslist. Now...I just need more than $700 in my bank account that I can afford to spend......

3. yRaz

yRaz TS Maniac Posts: 1,037   +159

here comes the end of PC gaming, I'm sure MS is testing the waters to see if they can boast sales with this. And ,seriously, do college kids need to be playing xBox? isn't spending all day on facebook enough?

4. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,388   +425

This is funny. Buy a PC for your schoolwork - and oh by the way, here's an XBox so you can skip classes to play games.

5. KG363

KG363 TS Enthusiast Posts: 524   +9

I just bought a laptop...

6. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Booster Posts: 373   +29

guess that's nice but when I was still in college I got windows 7 free and legal.

7. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 974   +54

But you previously bought the hardware, which is what this deal is about.

8. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TS Guru Posts: 692   +48

4GB? My usb stick has more...but free is always nice.

9. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TS Maniac Posts: 552

so... whens it coming to the UK?

10. lol...Nice one Anonosoft... The PSN hack didnt work out as you hoped huh? Well I guess you have to try an get ahead whatever the means despite a year head start u lost out to SONY...lol

11. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

Worst comment I've seen all day, and I spent 40min on 4chan.

12. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Maniac Posts: 958   +23

They have another deal at my college bookstore. Office 10 Pro for $99.

13. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Maniac Posts: 958   +23

What about us custom builders? Can we send in an itemized list of parts?

14. Recipe7

Recipe7 TS Enthusiast Posts: 142

Students should be studying and enjoying college life, not playing videogames all day.

15. example1013

example1013 TS Enthusiast Posts: 280

Sure, you can send it to Dell or whoever and they'll charge you an extra premium on all the parts. If they were to actually do this, though, they'd probably assemble it, so it's not like you'd be paying extra and receiving nothing.

To be clear, I doubt you can get anything but an OEM computer.

16. miska_man

miska_man TS Member Posts: 49

Haven't read the fine print yet, but does anyone know if the $700 price of the computer is BEFORE or AFTER student discounts are applied?

17. freythman

freythman TS Enthusiast Posts: 124   +10

Xbox is far more entertaining than Facebook

18. They got the deal all backwards. It should be if you buy an Xbox then you'll get a free PC, because PC's off the shelf sucks big booty.

19. larebz

larebz TS Rookie

Exactly, such a nonsensical offer in that respect.

20. Well going to get a laptop through Dell and any decent laptop does not qualify for the offer. What they did is over price the crappy laptops to cover the cost of the XBOX so in reality it is more of a forced bundle than an offer. ie. In January you could buy a computer for $600 and now you can get it for $800 and a "free XBOX". This is a bunch of BULL. Can you get a DELL Lattitude and an XBOX (oh no it is a business computer). Oh you mean you do not offer an XBOX with a computer that is WORTH over $700 instead of a crappy computer that you are charging over $700.

This is just a way for people to spend grant, parents (ie not your money) buying a "laptop" but getting also a game console.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.