Microsoft: Office coming to Android, iOS in March 2013

By Shawn Knight
Oct 10, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Talk of Microsoft Office showing up on Android and iOS devices is headlining tech sites once again. This time there's some solid evidence in support of a mobile Office suite. Microsoft product manager Petr Bobek reportedly told Czech site IHNED...

Read more
  2. MrBungle

MrBungle TechSpot Booster Posts: 146   +64

YES! Now I can open documents, create spreadsheets and write access databases from my droid 3!... wait, why would I want to do something like that on a 4" screen with no mouse? As much as I applaud the effort I can't think of a more miserable thing to do than run office productivity software on a phone... the second most miserable thing being running office productivity software on a tablet.
  3. ghasmanjr

ghasmanjr TechSpot Booster Posts: 363   +86

This is great news for tablet owners. This story is pretty eerie because I was looking at purchasing either a tablet or a laptop just today. I teach and I use my crappy laptop for powerpoint presentations. That flaw in a tablet is the only thing that stopped me from buying an Asus tablet today. Now that I know that Office is coming to Android, I'm definitely buying an Asus tablet or the Nexus 10 when it comes out.
  4. ghasmanjr

ghasmanjr TechSpot Booster Posts: 363   +86

Apparently, I didn't do my homework. There are many apps on the droid marketplace that allow PowerPoint editing and presentations. Office is still better than the OpenOffice equivalent, but it's most likely going to be very expensive.
  5. They should do this (create office for android) from beginning..
  6. negroplasty

negroplasty TechSpot Maniac Posts: 535   +12

7. Teko03

Teko03 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 108   +24

Isn't this one of the biggest selling points of the Surface tablet? So why bother making it available to the competition. Either way, I'm sure it won't be as "functional" on either iOS or Android.
  8. Maybe they are trying to be a software company by starting to produce software for multiple OS's like other software companies, instead for just their own OS to maintain their illegal monopoly.
  9. Camikazi

Camikazi TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 329   +56

Haven't you heard, smartphones and tablets are considered PCs now so MS doesn't have a monopoly of any kind.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.