Microsoft officially unveils sleek Xbox One S, coming this August with 4K capabilities

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft wasted little time getting down to business at its E3 briefing, opening with the remodeled Xbox One that leaked over the weekend. The Xbox One S is more or less what we expected but there were some surprises in store.

The sleeker machine is 40 percent smaller than the original Xbox One, white in color (Microsoft calls it Robot White) and includes an integrated power supply (no more massive power brick). It can be configured with up to a 2TB hard drive, can be situated vertically thanks to an optional vertical stand and now offers 4K Ultra HD video support and HDR capabilities.

As The Verge notes, Microsoft has also relocated one of the system’s USB ports to the front for easier access. Another change is the fact that there’s no longer a dedicated Kinect sensor port (you’ll now need an adapter to use it).

The changes extend to the controller as well. Microsoft has added new textured grips on the back of the controller and more importantly, Bluetooth. This will add wireless range to the controller and allow it to easily be used with a Windows PC.

The Xbox One S goes on sale in early August priced at $299 with a 500TB drive or $349 for a 1TB system. A limited-run launch edition will be sold with a spacious 2TB hard drive priced at $399.

Permalink to story.

$299 is the best bang for the buck.

Qfuuzl9.png

Starting at 299$, huh? And this model seems more better thought out than the original one. Well done Microsoft.

Looks like they officially announced Scorpio as well. As a Playstation fan I'm feeling a bit salty over Sony's complacency as top dog in the market. Xbox One has been discounted like crazy, they're bringing the Slim to market in August, and they gave a release target for scorpio as holiday 2017. And I've got this sinking feeling that Sony will not be bring comparable information to the E3 table. PS4 is just now getting the right games for me to buy in and I'm stuck wondering when they'll upgrade it and if it'll be worth while to wait. Xbox fans know how much they have to wait so I'm jelly.

So we get a slimmer Xbox One before the Xbox Scorpio next year? I hate to play devil's advocate, but this only seems to work out for those looking for a second console. New to the scene players might be a little upset that their investment barely squeaked out a year's of use. And, darn it! Why such a nice looking console? This S model makes my old Xbox One look like a 1980's A/V receiver.

New to the scene players might be a little upset that their investment barely squeaked out a year's of use.
Not sure what you are getting at there. Either you are complaining that people who bought an Xbox One less than a year ago will be upset because something newer is coming (but isn't that the case with all tech anyway?) or you think the Xbox One has only been around for less than a year when it will actually be nearly three when this comes out.

Damn, I'd love to get the Slim, but if I'm replacing my main XboxOne, I'll wait for Scorpio. I do love that internal 2TB.

Not sure what you are getting at there. Either you are complaining that people who bought an Xbox One less than a year ago will be upset because something newer is coming (but isn't that the case with all tech anyway?) or you think the Xbox One has only been around for less than a year when it will actually be nearly three when this comes out.
The Xbox One is in it's mid-life stage after about a 3 year release. Here I'm talking about the Xbox One S, which is set to release this August 2016. With the next generation Xbox One "Scorpio" to release in 2017. Consoles usually get a 5 year lifespan with a mid generation update, so this isn't a new situation. But getting two updates this late in the console's life is what my comment is mostly directed at.

4k capabilities in a smaller box than the original xbox one? not with decent framerates my friend......lol. this is probably 4k movie capable at 24 fps lol. pcs with the best gfx cards and processors to date still suffer at 4k gaming.....xbox isn't even going to be close to the pc.....wtf is this

4k capabilities in a smaller box than the original xbox one? not with decent framerates my friend......lol. this is probably 4k movie capable at 24 fps lol. pcs with the best gfx cards and processors to date still suffer at 4k gaming.....xbox isn't even going to be close to the pc.....wtf is this
do you like to troll, are you really that bad at reading?

Back