TechSpot

Microsoft, partners now accepting pre-orders for Windows 8

By Shawn Knight
Oct 12, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft has started accepting pre-orders for multiple versions of Windows 8. Boxed retail products, OEM copies and even product key cards are starting to appear online at various retailers in the US including Amazon, Best Buy, the Microsoft Store, Office...

Read more

2. veLa

veLa TS Booster Posts: 519   +86

32-bit versions still? I'm just so unimpressed by the move to 64-bit chips that we still don't utilize. It's like how we've all moved to dual and quad cores, yet most applications still only utilize 1 core.

Wendig0 likes this.
  3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,356   +402

This is gonna be interesting. I'm real curious to see what the Windows 8 sales figures are.

4. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 881   +130

I don't think Win8 sales figures will be like Win7, but I honestly think that the tablet craze will really help drive up sales.

5. I see no need for a tablet in order to enjoy and benefit from Windows 8. I've been using the release preview for a few weeks on two of my ageing laptops (one almost six years old) and my media center PC, which is no spring chicken either. The oldest machine - a Dell XPS M1710 - had been running Windows 7 X64 (and Vista X86 and MCE 2005 before that) while the other machines have been running Vista 32 bit. Windows 8 seems quicker and slicker on all three machines. That's not due to a fresh install either. The other machines have all had vanilla Windows installs without the burden of crapware to plague them.

I have zero interest in Metro, but look forward to improved performance for a minimal additional expense. I shall be buying three upgrade copies online as soon as it is available. Maybe one day I shall buy a tablet (or more likely a convertible/hybrid device), but that's certainly not a requirement in order to benefit from Windows 8.

6. Totally agreed. I wonder how windows 8 will transition into the market with growing touchscreen devices. I am not a fan of HUGE touch devices such as the ipad or other tablets.. so it's time for Windows 8 to change my mind!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.