TechSpot

Microsoft phasing out its virtual points currency in Windows 8

By Jos
Oct 8, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. It looks like Microsoft is ready to begin phasing out its points-based currency starting with the launch of Windows 8. The latest beta for the upcoming operating system now allows users to pay for game, movie and music content using...

Read more
  2. THANK YOU. Now you don't have to overpay for points to play game.
  3. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 875   +130

But now you'll have to pay taxes for the game, which I don't think you had to do for the points (unless the tax was built in to the item points).
  4. Yay more ways to get your credit card information and windows is horrible about fixing those issues.
  5. Timonius

Timonius TS Booster Posts: 582   +32

Nice, maybe I'll actually buy Microsoft stuff this way now. I always hated the points system and would make my purchases through another source if available. Plus they screwed the pooch in Zune Marketplace in every country except the USA (but that's a whole other rabbit trail).

treeski: Yeah taxes suck but it will eventually be a reality for all online stuff as governments are slooooowly figuring it out.

Guest(2): I hope they will sell cash cards in store for this like everyone else for redemption online.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.