TechSpot

Microsoft planning NFC mobile payments for Windows Phone 8

By Emil
Mar 29, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft plans to include Near Field Communication (NFC) technology in Windows Phone 8. NFC support will allow for mobile payment features in the next version of the Windows Phone operating system, according to two people familiar with the plans cited by BusinessWeek.

Read the whole story

2. You're assuming WP8 is anywhere close to completion. It took this company 6 months to ship a minor update. I seriously doubt WP8 will be ready before holiday 2012. It's going to be interesting to see whether WP7 phones will be allowed to upgrade at all (Windows Mobile never did).

3. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,059   +76

Timeframe about WP8 aside, I think the Guest raised very good point; I think 'up-grade' cycle / path will be an important factor in determining where WP eventually end up in few years time.

4. No one can stay behind. Many NFC Phones launched/announced in the last days. Samsung Wave M + Wave Y, Fujitsy with 3 NFC Phones, BlackBerry 9350/60/70, Nokia comes with three new phones 600/700/701. No embedded secure element or SWP in the Nokias for secure payments. But... in the press release many words about NFC technology. Nokia is absolutely right pointing to the NFC sharing and pairing capabilitys. NFC is much more than mobile payments. NFC-Phones pointorg ,For all the available NFC-Phones list by country and by carrier, the most up to date and user friendly list. Thank you.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.