Microsoft posts Windows 8 tablet hardware requirements

By Leeky
Jan 18, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft has been releasing the hardware certification requirements for upcoming operating systems for many years now, and the latest guidelines to be quietly detailed cover tablets running the upcoming operating system,…

Read the whole story
  2. Anything thinking Intel paid microsoft to require Arm based tablets to lock down there bootloader so the intel based tablets sell better. Just a theory
  3. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 709   +28

The ARM tablets will be the cash cow for Microsoft if they can keep Metro locked down on them and keep people paying for the apps. Wouldn't be surprised if piracy of apps was a concern which has resulted in the locked down bootloader.
  4. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,034   +70

Have anyone ever raised concern about similar practices of other players? I am reasonably confident not many have done that .......... so why all these complains about MS locking down Win8 tabs with UEFI secure boot ?
  5. inventix1136

inventix1136 Newcomer, in training Posts: 85   +14

Hate saying it but if the tablets cost more than $450, they will fail due to price factor and the fact that Microsoft will have virtually no apps in the store. As a developer the LAST thing I want to do is dedicate my time and resources to another webOS type of spectacle...
  6. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,034   +70

Fair point, but consider this, if Medfield based Win8 tablets start showing up around the same time, your problem will probably go away, and that can also slow down the adoption of ARM based tablets. Although concerns about higher prices remains, I think MS or any one else coming to tablet market need to have a close look at their pricing.
  7. microsoft new fiasco
  8. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TechSpot Booster Posts: 943   +94

+1

I agree. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard in a very very very long time. The only thing more ridiculous... is SOPA.
  9. @inventix1136

http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/10/2696168/bluestacks-android-apps-windows-8

Apps will not be an issue at launch.
  10. Could the lock-down of ARM devices be related to subsidicing from Microsoft to bring low cost devices to market? The Intel based devices would be "close to laptop spec" and therefore would not compete directly with Android tablets and iPads, so it could carry a higher price point (and therefore not needing subsidicing from Microsoft)

Just a thought

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.