Microsoft prepping 802.11n adapter for Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Microsoft is working on an 802.11n adapter for its Xbox 360, which would effectively double the raw data rate from the currently utilized 802.11b/g. Although there has been no official announcement from Redmond, the adapter has already made its way to the FCC and there's no confusing its purpose; the FCC label reads "Xbox 360 Wireless N Networking Adapter Microsoft Corporation."

This comes only a few days after the IEEE officially "approved" the 802.11n Wi-Fi spec, which was developed some 7 years ago. Most people have little reason to upgrade their current adapter for basic gaming needs; but the N adapter may prove handy for streaming HD content. Are you going to grab one when they hit stores, and what will motivate you to do so? Any MSRP predictions?

Permalink to story.

It will probably replace the old adapter at the same ~$80 price point... way overpriced IMO but at least its an easy upgrade for those interested in streaming HD content without wires.

How nice would it be if this is part of a step towards an integrated wireless adapter. With this big shift towards downloading full HD games, and streaming HD media I think its a good sign. There already are rumors and pics of a 250gb hard drive bump up for the elite, then with this I can see them releasing an update console with Natal next year that is basically an elite with natal attached a 250gb+ HD and Integrated wireless. I just hope it happens.

I dont own a 360, but I'm not mad either from buying my ps3 slim. Maybe I'll get one some day soon. I do love my netflix

250G Elite at same price of elites now, would change my mind on saving for a gaming laptop, I have the money for a premium console now, just a little more for an elite :)!

Any chance this one will support WPA2? I seriously just shoved the old one back in the packaging and took it back in one minute after realizing it only did WPA/WEP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back