Microsoft prohibits ESRB Mature, PEGI 18+ apps from Windows 8

By Rick
Oct 11, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. According to Microsoft's published Windows 8 certification requirements, any app rated above PEGI 16 (European standard), ESRB Mature or otherwise contains content to warrant such a rating, will be prohibited from sale on the Windows Store. It's important to note this only affects...

Read more
  2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,727   +286

Why. whats the motive.
  3. TekGun

TekGun TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 155   +11

"Windows 8 RT (I.e. mainstream tablets)."

Shouldn't that be... Windows 8 RT (I.e. Tablets based on ARM)
    Tablets based on other CPU's won't be restricted by these sanctions, it's almost like your trying to spread disinformation.
    Uvindu likes this.
  4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

The use of "mainstream" was intended to mean "attractively priced" -- not to misinform anyone. Thanks for pointing it out though. I changed the wording.

Yes, RT is only for ARM-based tablets. While many of our readers will know what that means, many also will not. I specifically avoided using ARM for that reason and tried to boil it down to what ARM really means to consumers: cheap tablets will have RT, expensive ones won't.
  5. dotVezz

dotVezz TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 117

It's actually kind of surprising how many consumers recognize what "ARM" is these days. Back in the days when the only mainstream devices to use ARM instruction sets were still relatively niche (Palm devices? HP iPAQ, anyone?), nobody had any idea what it all meant. But nowadays, because of Android and iOS devices all using ARM instructions and all, it means something to consumers.

Just sayin'

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.