TechSpot

Microsoft pulls the plug on buggy security update

By Shawn Knight
Apr 12, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft has pulled the plug on a buggy security update released as part of Patch Tuesday earlier this week. The issue first came to light a couple of days ago when some PCs in Brazil were rendered unbootable after installing...

Read more

2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,062   +919

Glad I havent been on my PC in a while.

3. Lol the only fix microsoft has is popping your windows disk in and doing a repair install. I was wondering how else they expected to fix an unbootable pc. the update itself may have not affected a users personal settings but doing a repair install will lol so we may as well say the update is the cause.

4. I believe they are only recommending that this not be installed on Win 7 32 bit versions. The update is still out there for 64 bit versions.

5. taimuraly

taimuraly TS Enthusiast Posts: 119

On checking out my update history, seems I have it installed. Running a 64bit Win 7, no problems since installing it - installed it on the 11th of April, 2013 and not living in Brazil (Dubai, U.A.E). Think I will uninstall it though as who knows, I might download the conflicting third party software and regret it later.

Edit- Just remembered haven't restarted or shutdown the PC for the past 5 days. Ignoring the prompt to restart after the update as was working on a senior architecture project. I have uninstalled the update now but saved by 3ds Max, will never know :D

6. General Sam

General Sam TS Member Posts: 26

I think I had this same error.

Been using Windows 8 the past couple of weeks and suddenly got hit with a firestorm of bugs forcing me to reinstall my "Upgrade" copy of the Operating System.

After the third time, my hard-drive just had enough and forced me to format the entire thing (including my partitions, damn!!).

Back on Windows 7 now with no problems at all. My advice, if your rocking an older rig with W8, don't update it!! Could be my just unfortunate choice of parts though.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.