TechSpot

Microsoft purchases corporate social network Yammer for $1.2 billion

By Shawn Knight
Jun 26, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft has pulled the trigger on a deal that will see them acquire corporate social network Yammer in an effort to keep pace with other similar offerings. As rumors earlier this month suggested, Microsoft has agreed to pay $1.2 billion…

Read more
  2. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +90

I think there's more to this acquisition than what most people think. Or at least that's what I hope, since 1.2 billion dollars a is a lot of money to just play catch up. Something tells me there really was a very good reason for the purchase.
  3. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

Seems like microsoft could have saved a billion dollars by adding a forum feature to Sharepoint. What a waste.
  4. Xyvis

Xyvis TS Rookie Posts: 18

It's almost as if Microsoft is just gobbling up other companies at this point just to stay afloat (if that makes sense). To me it seems as if they're running out of ideas so they are buying out others to try and keep up.
  5. gamesms

gamesms TS Rookie Posts: 45

Wow.. that's interesting.. windows 8 and yammer...could they break Facebook? As bling a partner with... :/
  6. DanUK

DanUK TS Enthusiast Posts: 189   +7

I like this and really hope that a big company like microsoft can use their resources to promote the benefits of "social" networking tools in the work place.

My last and current job have both been for FTSE 100 companies and as they're both quite "old" (both literally and in leadership attitude towards this sort of thing), neither have anything like yammer. Just good old email/phone/IM. Feels like a missed opportunity, I hope they catch on soon.
  7. "social networking" is getting old. Too late M$

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.