Microsoft, Quanta Computer sign Android patent agreement

Jos

Staff

Microsoft signed another Android-related patent agreement yesterday with Taiwan-based notebook, tablet and smartphone manufacturer Quanta Computer. The deal will cover all of Quanta's Android or Chrome platforms, and Microsoft will receive royalties for every device sold.

The software giant published a statement on their News Center website saying they were "pleased to have reached this agreement with Quanta, and proud of the continued success of our Android licensing program in resolving IP issues surrounding Android and Chrome devices in the marketplace."

This marks the ninth Android-related agreement Microsoft has signed in the last 18 months, following up from the Samsung deal inked just two weeks ago. The Redmond-based company has similar agreements in place with HTC, General Dynamics Itronix, Wistron, Acer, Viewsonic, Velocity Micro and Onkyo. Since starting thier IP licensing program in 2003, Microsoft has signed more than 700 licensing deals.

Microsoft is making quite profit from what it says is Android's use of their patented technology. It is estimated that the company is getting $3-$6 per Android device sold, and based on the number of units expected to be sold by Microsoft's licensees between July 1, 2011 and June 30, 2012, some estimate they'll rake in around $444 million in that period.

HTC alone has agreed to pay Microsoft $5 per device, which according to reports earns the company around 5 times more than they earn from licenses of Windows Phones. Samsung may have fared worse if Microsoft managed to get the $15 per device they were initially seeking from the South Korean giant, though no official details have been revealed.

Permalink to story.

Techspot has been writing about microsoft getting money from patents on technology used in the android devices, but what is this technology?

Its an interesting question, that most people unfortunately cannot answer. Microsoft haven't been particularly forthcoming with releasing the patent that's being infringed, and given what I've read and written myself, I could probably imagine that those making agreements are being prohibited from speaking about what it is.

Mainly it is Fat and Fat32 which functionality is included, so devices can access things like SSD and Micro SD cards.

Back