Microsoft readying a multi-touch Arc mouse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

A new product listing for what is being called the "Microsoft Arc Touch Mouse" has prompted speculation that the software giant may be whipping up a rival to Apple's Magic Mouse. The device is listed with the product code RVF-00003 and has an MSRP of around $70 (the same as Apple's device), according to Long Zheng of istartedsomething. Zheng also notes that Microsoft registered the domain "arctouchmouse.com" in March, which is currently redirecting to Bing – a common practice for the company's placeholder sites.

You may recall a project from late 2009 that Microsoft was calling Mouse 2.0. As part of that research, the company was working on designs for a prototype multitouch mouse – one of which is pictured above. That specific unit featured a curved design similar to the existing Arc models, and it used FTIR to track multiple contact points. There's no telling if this is what's coming to market, but any new multitouch peripheral from Microsoft could bring some attention to development for native Windows touch applications, and we can't complain about that.

Permalink to story.

Eh? I like the fact that on normal mice you actually get some tactile feedback as well as the click, comfort, etc...this thing seems to defy all of those aspects.

Looks uncomfortable. I haven't found a really good mouse since the days of the MS Trackball Explorer. My Logitech mouse comes close but using it is inconvenient on my way-too-small slide out tray.

Hmm like its really 'laborious and uncomfortable' having to press buttons on a mice.

Won't take me from my trackball. My keyboard does 99% of what these "innovative" touch devices do, people are just centered around the pointing device too much these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back