Microsoft releases fix for Windows 10 update printer issues

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Whenever Microsoft acknowledges a bug caused by a Windows 10 update, of which there are many, it usually promises that it’s working on a fix. In the case of the printer issues brought by the recent KB4560960 and KB4557957 updates, the company has kept its word.

As we noted in our feature listing some of the biggest problems caused by the Windows 10 May 2020 update and the two subsequent security updates, some users have found their PCs plagued with printer problems.

Those affected discovered they can no longer print using devices from multiple manufacturers, including HP, Canon, Panasonic, Brother, and Ricoh. The issue even borks software-based printers, meaning virtual PDF printers no longer work, either.

As noted by Neowin, the problem hit all supported versions of Windows, including Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 versions 1507, 1607, 1709, 1803, 1809, 1903, 1909, and 2004.

Thankful Microsoft is now releasing cumulative updates to address the issue, but not for all versions. Those running Windows versions 1903 and 1909 can get it here, and there are also updates for 1809 and 1803.

Microsoft writes that the fix “addresses an issue that might prevent certain printers from printing. The print spooler might generate an error or close unexpectedly when attempting to print, and no output will come from the affected printer. You might also encounter issues with the apps you are attempting to print from, such as receiving an error, or the app might close unexpectedly.”

If you’re running one of the Windows 10 builds that doesn’t have a fix, printing something means waiting until Microsoft releases a patch for your version, or you could just uninstall the June updates that are causing the issue.

Permalink to story.

My Brother laser printer just started telling me its low on ink, which it most certainly should not be. HMMM..

Hello, I am using Windows 10 ver.1909 OS Build 18363.1082. The printer issue that has been plaguing others since July this year has only hit me after the September 8, 2020 KB4574727 Version:
1903-OS Build 18362.1082 and 1909-OS Build 18363.1082 update.

I tried the patch but I do not even have an update KB4560960 8 ... so the patch is not relevant to my computer.. strange as I get all updates automatically. Anyway I want to simply remove the latest update (there were two on that date: also installed was KB4576484 .. actually my computer updated on the 12th but it was the Sept. 8th update. Anyway before I remove the offending updates, do you recognize these update versions and do you recommend only removing the 4727 version or both or neither? sorry I really need all my printers ASAP. Thanks so much for your help and this service.

Last edited:
Back