Microsoft releases Silverlight 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Not willing to concede the market to Adobe, Microsoft has released a new major version of its Silverlight web browser plug-in. Among the new features in version 3.0 are 3D support, GPU acceleration, support for H.264 and AAC encoding, deep linking, image and text improvements and more. The official launch of Silverlight 3 is scheduled for tomorrow, but the actual bits are available now from Microsoft’s website.

One of the main new features of Silverlight 3 is its support for running applications outside the browser. This is similar to Adobe’s AIR in that it will allow apps to run on Windows or Mac clients and provide users with online, offline or intermittently connected access to content. However, Microsoft officials claim there will be advantages that Silverlight 3 offers over AIR, starting with the fact that developers and users won’t need to download an additional runtime in order to get out-of-the-browser support.

Microsoft is also including Smooth Streaming support in Silverlight 3, which dynamically detects network and local PC conditions to seamlessly switch the video quality of videos. People with high-bandwidth connections and newer hardware can experience HD quality streaming, while others with lower connection speeds or simply experiencing a temporary drop in bandwidth receive an appropriate stream for their current conditions, allowing an uninterrupted streaming experience with the highest quality possible.

Permalink to story.

Smooth Streaming looks awesome and less buggy than Flash-based video services at first instance. Having it running on third party production-level web services will be the real test however.

We haven't met anybody who needs Silverlight, but Microsoft certainly needs us to have it, or they wouldn't be falling all over themselves trying to get it on our machines... I don't suppose I even know what it does.

We haven't met anybody who needs Silverlight, but Microsoft certainly needs us to have it, or they wouldn't be falling all over themselves trying to get it on our machines... I don't suppose I even know what it does.

Don't know why needed? or what it is? There's plenty of such information available if you do a simple "Gurgle" search or a Windows Search. Then the pick that top options.

And i'll even go one better and just give you the search terms as well :) why need silverlight

Apparently needed for Netflix and some of the streaming video presentations of Beijing Olympics and Presidential Olympics. I'd guess the number of things needing it (or at least supporting it) will start increasing rapidly now that it's out. We can both keep "Gurgling" to find out more as it happens!

It's a little bizarre that a "new" version isn't IE8 64-bit compatible. Guess I DON'T need it after all.

will this help or hurt dial up users....Oh that's right there isn't any dial up users anymore....

Yeah why don't you go to Firefox or Opera with their great 64 bit capabilities...

OH WAIT.

Opera has 64bit versions for Linux and FreeBSD. And since FF is opensource you can build your own 64bit version.

There are still dial up users out there too, my parents are an example. They live 6 miles north of a town of 2000 and can't get DSL. Sure they could get satellite, but it would be pretty terrible speeds for a lot of money per month.

It is obvious that Microsoft always want to monopolize the PC market by destroying other companies hat join the market. Many new companies are innovative and come up with new sofware/technology that customers try and then love. When this happens, Microsoft responds by producing similar thing and offering for free just to destroy the new company(Do they offer office for free? No, b/c there is no competitor). Microsoft is completely against innovation and new ideas brought up by other alternative companies. They destroyed the first graphical browser Netscape Navigator, Wordperfect, Google (next target) and many other software. I think it is time that we users start to use the right software for our benefit than the simply popular, but monopolistic and responsive (not innovative) Microsoft software. We need alternatives and that is what we have to practically.

Basically, Microsoft is getting mad. They attack every company: Adobe, Google, Apple, IBM, etc. We own our PCs and we can do anything with it, though currently i is Microsoft who is doing anything with our PCs. Why do get locked so much?

Microsoft is a company like any other. They're no better or worse than many other companies out there. They make something and heaven forbid they make it better otherwise, everyone will excuse them of monopolistic behaviors. Why don't you look into all of the companies you mentioned above?

lataak, it's not magic, it's not an evil plan to take over the world, Microsoft simply produces stuff people use. You can still use other browsers (some of which are taking big chunks out of IE's market share), you can still use WordPerfect, Google isn't going anywhere, Adobe's doing just fine, Apple too.

But don't listen to me, I never caught the MS-Phobia virus that's been going around.

It is obvious that Microsoft always want to monopolize the PC market by destroying other companies hat join the market. Many new companies are innovative and come up with new sofware/technology that customers try and then love. When this happens, Microsoft responds by producing similar thing and offering for free just to destroy the new company(Do they offer office for free? No, b/c there is no competitor).

Their only real competitor for Office DOES offer it for free and yet people still use MS Office. www.openoffice.org

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back