Microsoft releases SP1 RC for Windows 7, Server 2008 R2

Emil

Staff

Microsoft today released Service Pack 1 (SP1) Release Candidate (RC) for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. As you can see over at Microsoft.com, the 32-bit installer is 514.7MB in size while the 64-bit installer is 865.4MB.

Microsoft started testing SP1 seven months ago and a public beta was released in July 2010. The final release of SP1 is expected to arrive during the first quarter of 2011. Microsoft provides service packs for free to bring their OS up to speed with all of the latest security patches and bug fixes, provided that you have a genuine copy of Windows.

For Windows Server 2008 R2, SP1 will add two new features that directly affect Microsoft's desktop virtualization platform: Microsoft Dynamic Memory and Microsoft RemoteFX. The former gives on-the-fly control of a virtual machine's memory while the latter provides a virtualized 3D graphical experience for remote users. For Windows 7, SP1 includes only minor updates: mostly hotfixes already delivered through Windows Update. SP1 will, however, feature an updated Remote Desktop client that takes advantage of RemoteFX introduced Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

Permalink to story.

I think this part:
Microsoft Dynamic Memory and Microsoft RemoteFX. The former provides a virtualized 3D graphical experience for remote users while the latter gives on-the-fly control of a virtual machine's memory
is backwards.

bugejakurt said:
Will Windows 7 SP1 provide speed improvements? Other than the usual bug fixes?

If win7 is slow on your machine you need to upgrade. By todays standards it runs great on any system.

good news yes but i'll never update to RC version

maybe to the final release after a week or two from the release and after few reviews lol

better safe than sorry :p

great news most definitely. i am looking forward to the WHS: Vail though. this should only get better! even my old dell xps laptop handles W7 like a champ. my wife loves it!

Windows 7 SP1 seems really nice but is it actually needed? seems like something they could just release gradually imo.

dustin_ds3000 said:
i would love to test this but i don't want it causing and problems. I will wait until the final release.

thats the best choice u can make....unless u are the kind that loves to get their hands of new stuff early...u know.

None of the new features seem to offer anything new that I would use, and the hotfixes are already on my PC. Funny that I had to validate my Windows before getting to look at the release notes, lol.

That's all? Doesn't seem like much on the Win7 side... but the Server 2K8 improvements could be helpful for those that use Hyper V as their hypervisor. My question though is this: how many datacenters actually use Hyper V over vmWare?

No significant improvements, and as mentioned above, nothing but a single compilation of a bunch of bug fixes which are already installed anyway. Still downloading it, will install when I get into the office tomorrow, hopefully it won't break anything. Anyone update already?

Good for the pirated versions who can't do normal updates. I no longer use such so the news is more or less meaningless.

I look forward to testing it. hoping it brings some performance optimizations, I actually have to downgrade an office workstation ( of meagre specs i'll admit) to Xp from 7 because of performance issues with the video card and CS5. It really just needs better hardware, but they don't want to pony up for it so the venerable XP it is :)

heh ... I just got this new build fully functional two hours ago, so I'll let you guys test SP1 first.

princeton said:
bugejakurt said:

If win7 is slow on your machine you need to upgrade. By todays standards it runs great on any system.

..speed improvements are ALWAYS welcome, im running win 7 ultimate on my netbook, im able to use it for work and school, but it could be better.

fadownjoo said:
princeton said:
bugejakurt said:

..speed improvements are ALWAYS welcome, im running win 7 ultimate on my netbook, im able to use it for work and school, but it could be better.

I doubt it will improve the speeds of your netbook, unless you're suffering from these bugs that W7 SP1 if fixing of course ;)

Unlike XP, this service pack will be for the businesses mainly. Us home users are perfectly happy with Windows 7 proper.

Windows 7 works great in the business world too. Sp1 will bring nothing other than saving you from having to install all the security updates on a new install. I doubt it will bring any noticeable change.

brodieeee said:
fadownjoo said:
princeton said:
bugejakurt said:

I doubt it will improve the speeds of your netbook, unless you're suffering from these bugs that W7 SP1 if fixing of course ;)

Get a SSD hard drive. Windows 7 has futuristic speed once you do that. No Service Pack is gonna save you from a slow hard drive or system. Windows 7 is so freaking fast for me :)

Back