Microsoft releases Windows Home Server 2011 RC

By Emil
Feb 3, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft has announced the availability of Windows Home Server (WHS) 2011 Release Candidate (RC). The software giant says the RC is the last build it plans on releasing before the final, and it's meant to prepare the company's network of software and hardware partners for its release.

Read the whole story
  2. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,285   +232

I'm having a love/hate relationship with WHS 2011. Tried the previous RC, and it's got some nice tweaks and performance boosts. But cutting out the Drive Extender feature soured me to the experience, as a whole. That drive pooling option was one of the best features of WHS...
  3. So, how is WHS 2011 any better than just adding another Windows 7 machine to my network? Or even just a NAS? It seems that the increased amount of user responsibility is really no different than manually setting up backup drives in Win7. If I go with another Win 7 machine, I would also get Media Center.

Where's the advantage in owning this product, Microsoft? FAIL. FAIL. FAIL. I am so disappointed because I LOVE my WHS v.1.

Microsoft, fix this product!! Bring back DE, add Media Center, fix the 2tb partition limit (especially in light of the excuse that DE is gone because hard drives are bigger and cheaper).

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.